Red Zebra Just gave BIRTH!!! Now What?

Daemonx101

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
My Red Zebra cichlid just gave birth! Its amazing.
I only 4 babies swimming around but I can still see some more babies in still in her mouth? What does this mean?

I have actually isolated her in a glass jar that's hanging in my tank. I'm buying a small tank tomorrow, and will get it going by using some of my main tank's water and some microbial solutions from Big Al's (Canada). Probably moving the mother and her babies in a week.

Now, the babies are actually colourless, and I know they're a hybrid, because she was the only red zebra in the tank. I think the father is either my kenyi or hongi, however, I'm leaning towards the kenyi because he's guarding the glass jar, and has quite literally been keeping her company (she swims up so does he).

I didn't really plan on a pregnancy. However I would like to ask about the implications of hybrid cichlids. Do they tend to be sick? How predictable is their behaviour? What can I feed the babies?

Lots of questions, I know. Sorry. But I hope someone can help me out with this and guide me in the right direction. THANK YOU!

BennyB

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Well, I'm not certain because I've never bred cichlids, but I'm pretty sure the parents don't just eat their fry the same way livebearers would. They carry them around in their mouths and care for their young. Of course I could be wrong because like I said, never bred cichlids. Keeping the mother and the fry separated is a good idea, but keeping them in a jar like you describe could be stressful. Just be sure to get that smaller tank ASAP.

Feed the fry mostly fresh or freeze-dried foods, such as newly hatched brine shrimp, or microworms. Flakes can be acceptable occasionally. Be sure to crush them into powder first though.

Hope this helps, good luck!

kcarmartinez

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
My africans don't take care of their young. Actually, I have terrible luck with it and will now wait to re-introduce my current babies until they are a good 2" because smaller ones disappear...
I have had better luck stripping mom if I want to keep them because if I wait she lets them out and they... disappear...
If you have babies escaping it will not be long before she lets go of the rest. Stress will make her release them early. I would give the babies a place to hide as mom will eventually decide they are food and eat them. I can't say how long that will be but remember she doesn't eat when she is holding and will be hungry. Feed mom well and for the babies crushed up flakes will be fine.
I would assume that the behavior of a hybrid would be unpredictable. I would think genetically they would not be pre-dispositioned to get sick since there is no inbreeding, but I can't say for sure. Good luck.

btate617

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
My Red Zebra cichlid just gave birth! Its amazing.
I only 4 babies swimming around but I can still see some more babies in still in her mouth? What does this mean?

I have actually isolated her in a glass jar that's hanging in my tank. I'm buying a small tank tomorrow, and will get it going by using some of my main tank's water and some microbial solutions from Big Al's (Canada). Probably moving the mother and her babies in a week.

Now, the babies are actually colourless, and I know they're a hybrid, because she was the only red zebra in the tank. I think the father is either my kenyi or hongi, however, I'm leaning towards the kenyi because he's guarding the glass jar, and has quite literally been keeping her company (she swims up so does he).

I didn't really plan on a pregnancy. However I would like to ask about the implications of hybrid cichlids. Do they tend to be sick? How predictable is their behaviour? What can I feed the babies?

Lots of questions, I know. Sorry. But I hope someone can help me out with this and guide me in the right direction. THANK YOU!
She will keep they fry in her mouth as protection. She will let them out and at a sign of danger she will scoop them back up into her mouth until the threat is gone.

The glass jar, sorry but that is a horrible idea. Eventually she is going to get stressed and probably eat the fry. The male Kenyi is not keeping her company he is either trying to get close to her to spawn again, male Africans have a one tract mind, or he is trying to eat the free swimming fry. You would be better off stripping her (removing the fry from her mouth) and leaving the fry in the jar however in a glass jar with no water movement and being a tight space the water will foul rather quickly and kill the fry anyhow. They are a dull colorless grey and will be for sometime.

I could write 17 and a half pages on the implications of hybrid cichlids, but don't worry guys I wont...... For your situation with these 2 types of Africans they really should be no major implications. They shouldn't be any more sick than if you had 2 red zebras or 2 kenyi. They won't be any more aggressive either. They are African cichlid fry. I will say however, if you riase them you should not ever no matter what try to pass them off as something they are not. (and I am sure you wouldn't do that I am just saying). They are hybrid fish, no more no less.

Back to the fry in the mouth most all, not all but most, Africans spawn this way as do a number of SA cichlids. The female will let them into her mouth normally until they are just too large to do so anymore.

Brian

kcarmartinez

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Another point on the jar/tank issue... When you get the new tank moving just water is not going to help you much. I would move some substrate, filter media, and maybe a decoration or so and get them in it right away. Just keep an eye on the water parameters and have some Prime on hand if you didn't get an instant cycle. Do you have a breeder net for the time being? It would be better if the fish was in something that had some water circulation.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom