Red Zebra Digging

Chris197543

One of my red zebra chichlids has started continually digging in the same spot under some drift wood I’ve no idea if it’s male or female he/she seems to shiver vibrate when ever on of my other red zebras comes close by. Does anyone know what this behaviour is? I’m new too these fish so any help advice would be great thanks

A201

Welcome to the world of African Cichlids. Your Red Zebra was just exhibiting its normal nesting behavior. The shimming was either mating mode or fighting mode behavior. Its usually my male cichlids that dig up the substrate in my tank.

Chris197543

Ok thanks for the info. so one of the other red zebras I have could possibly be a female? Because they all look very similar is there a way too sex them?

A201

I'm more of a African Peacock / Hap keeper, rather than Mbuna. I believe the Red Zebra males are bright orange to dull red colored. The females are blue. Male Mbuna tend to have more egg spots on the analfin. That's the best info I can provide. Maybe a more knowledgeable Mbuna keeper will reply.

Demeter

Sounds like the digging red zebra is a male. Female red zebras are not blue, they look just like the males but have rounded dorsal and analfins, few to no vibrant egg spots, and they are a bit duller in color. A blue zebra is just that, a (cobalt) blue zebra.

A male mbuna will dig and display even if there are no females. If he is displaying and trying to get another fish to come to his area then it is likely female. You can try venting all your fish to get a better idea on gender. 2 holes the same size is male, 1 hole that's larger is a female.

Chris197543

Ok thanks for advice don’t think I’ll try venting there only about 21/2 inches so there pretty small. I read that they can breed when there small but there’s that much online it’s hard too know what’s true and what isn’t! I’ll just keep eye on them any way seems pretty normal what there doing and good too observe!

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom