Red Zebra Cichlid ID

Yyot

Hello everyone,

New to the cichlid world after being a fairly longtime freshwater aquarium hobbyist.

I was gifted this red zebra along with some of her fry and was told that she is a female. However, apparently she’s super colorful and everyone keeps asking if it’s a male. Can I get some help with a gender ID?

I will attach some pics below. Thanks!

MedicMike

Based on other south American cichlids I'd say it's a female. The blunted/ rounding end of the dorsal and analfins is why I'd think that. It's not a hard fast rule as I have a Convict with long non blunted fins that is currently laying eggs. So never say never, never say always. But lets see what others have to say as well. Cool looking fish though, I like the bright coloring!

Yyot

MedicMike said:
Based on other south American cichlids I'd say it's a female. The blunted/ rounding end of the dorsal and analfins is why I'd think that. It's not a hard fast rule as I have a Convict with long non blunted fins that is currently laying eggs. So never say never, never say always. But lets see what others have to say as well. Cool looking fish though, I like the bright coloring!
Thank you for your response but to my understanding, red zebra cichlids are from Lake MalawI in Africa. I do think you’re right about the blunted fins though!

A201

Both the male & female Red Zebra are colorful. Their color ranges from pinkish red to light orange. In the fish stores Red Zebras are often deep red because they are juiced w/ hormones. The dominate male Red Zebra often will display translucent blue fins. Here's a pic of one of my male Red Zebras.

Yyot

A201 said:
Both the male & female Red Zebra are colorful. Their color ranges from pinkish red to light orange. In the fish stores Red Zebras are often deep red because they are juiced w/ hormones. The dominate male Red Zebra often will display translucent blue fins. Here's a pic of one of my male Red Zebras.
Thank you! I remember you advised me on setting up my tank way back in December! So she’s probably a female then as I was told?

A201

IMO, Its likely a female. Only two egg spots. Males usually have a few more.
Really healthy looking female.

NaturalGothic

Both female and male Mbuna are highly colorful and it’s difficult to tell the difference. There after some mbuna who have tell tails like the electric yellow but even then it can be hard. To be 100% accurate, you’d have to vent your fish.

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom