Red zebra cichlid getting pretty angry 55 Gallon Tank

1. raptorsvt79

raptorsvt79 Well Known Member Member

the biggest fish in my tank is a red zebra which is about 2 1/2 inches long. He is know getting pretty aggressive with anyone coming near his territory. He is digging and digging and keeping everyone away. Any suggestions why this happens?

2. Castiel*

Castiel* Well Known Member Member

No reason at all, just establishing territory! With African Cichlids its usually not the size of the fish in the fight, but the size of the fight in the fish!!!:;sharkie1

Do you have plenty of caves and good filtration for them? An African tank stocked with catfish and a pleco will have plenty of bioload. I run an Emperor 400 and another tetra 40g filter too and I feel under filtered for them.

3. OP
    OP
    raptorsvt79

raptorsvt79 Well Known Member Member

It seems that he or she got meaner as soon as I added my marineland 350 penguin... Maybe the current in the water got it excited? .. I currently have the penguin 350 and top fin 75 running

4. Castiel*

Castiel* Well Known Member Member

It may be that but Africans like some current! He could just be a dominate Male and is taking control of the tank! My Johanni male bosses around most of the others in my tank, and he isn't the biggest. Being so small let them grow more, different fish will take over eventually when they fully mature.