Red worms in guppies need help with finding medicine

grracemarrie

i need help i’ve had 4 adults die due to these worms and i’ve been treating the tank with general cure. that’s my first mistake can someone please give me the name or link to the medicine that will help me. is there any medicine for this worms that won’t harm plants or just the well being of the tank? it’s okay if it does just need to be prepared. i do that’s guppy fry rn so i’m hoping if anyone knows the medicine that is the most effective and that is okay for the fry and won’t harm to much to my tanks bacteria. thanks
is this a good medicine to buy?

YellowGuppy

It's likely camallanus worms. There's an article on loaches.com that will outline how to treat it with levamisole hydrochloride. If possible, try to get a picture of the affected guppies, and then read that article and order some meds ASAP.

grracemarrie

It's likely camallanus worms. There's an article on loaches.com that will outline how to treat it with levamisole hydrochloride. If possible, try to get a picture of the affected guppies, and then read that article and order some meds ASAP.
okay doing that now. my guppies the ones that are still alive don’t have by red worms coming out but they were in the same tank with two that recently died that had the worms sticking out. so i’m definitely going to keep treating the tank. i’m waiting for some of my local fish stores to open so i can possible get some prazi pro i wanna see if i can get it today so i can save my fish this has been super stressful lost some of my favorite fish to these worms

YellowGuppy

okay doing that now. my guppies the ones that are still alive don’t have by red worms coming out but they were in the same tank with two that recently died that had the worms sticking out. so i’m definitely going to keep treating the tank. i’m waiting for some of my local fish stores to open so i can possible get some prazi pro i wanna see if i can get it today so i can save my fish this has been super stressful lost some of my favorite fish to these worms
I understand - I've been through this, too! Prazipro won't do anything if it's camallanus; I started there as well.

Rye3434

I believe levamisole is a treatment for camallanus but I don't know much about it. Prazipro and general cure both use praziquentanal for deworming so as YellowGuppy said it won't work for camallanus

grracemarrie

I believe levamisole is a treatment for camallanus but I don't know much about it. Prazipro and general cure both use praziquentanal for deworming so as YellowGuppy said it won't work for camallanus
oh no ugh i have prazipro at home do you think it’s even worth putting in ? and thank you both for the advice
okay thanks i’ll see if i can order that online
do you know what medicine has levamisole in it?
do you have a picture of the medicine you buy? my brain can’t handle all these big words lol

HupGupp

Just been through this too. Fish meds are pretty much banned in Canada but I was able to treat with dog dewormer (Fenbendazole) which seems to have cleared it from the tank. I did have to cull all the infected fish which was a good part of the adult population but fortunately I had several batches of fry which are growing up nice and healthy since. Note that Fenbendazole will kill your Nerites but not your bladder snails.

coralbandit

Treating Your water with Levamisole

Click there. Email the guy. Send him some money. He will ship you the stuff. Put some in your tank. Kill the nasty death worms.
Charles is the BEST.
He is cited in the loach article, but they botch the treatment .
Follow Charles directions [ 1 gram of Levamisole HCI per 20 gallons] .

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
DoubleDutch
Replies
Views
BenjiBear
Replies
Views
Elys393
Replies
Views