Help Red Worm In With New Mystery Snails.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlleyOH

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I just got 9 mystery snails yesterday. They aren’t very healthy but I’m working on it. Anyway this morning there is a small red worm at the top of the tank moving about. What is it?
AD4EE3F0-E677-4A21-A420-92579B881EC5.jpeg
E2C7B0D2-7A98-4ECB-BD8F-B57C6247C314.jpeg

snailyfriends

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
could be a leech, could be tubifex, or a nematode. i'd take it out and look for more. leeches will be stuck to the snails, tubifex will make little tan colored tubes on things, and nematodes just swim around. the only one of those that really does harm is a leech.

OP
AlleyOH

AlleyOH

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
could be a leech, could be tubifex, or a nematode. i'd take it out and look for more. leeches will be stuck to the snails, tubifex will make little tan colored tubes on things, and nematodes just swim around. the only one of those that really does harm is a leech.
Thanks! I was worried, I’ll keep an eye out for more

OP
AlleyOH

AlleyOH

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
weird it almost just looks like a bloodworm to me... like food was stuck in its shell from before
I’ve never had bloodworms before (I have nothing that eats them) but these came from a dirty tank with nothing but maybe 15 snails. And I took 9 of those home.

Kathryn Crook

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Could be a flatworm. I have them in my tank, ugly but harmless. I try to take them out when I can. They have suckers at both ends and act almost like leeches but dont attack living things.

Kathryn Crook

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I’ve honestly never seen anything that I haven’t purposely put in a tank before.
Haha, yeah. It can be scary sometimes. I have tubifex worms, flat worms, copepods, snails, shrimp...all living harmoniously. All are harmless in my tank (except the darn bladder snails Im constantly crushing). You have to watch out for the bad ones though. That guy you found doesnt look like a bad guy but I would take him out anyway. He could compete for food. I have that issue with my flatworms, which is why I remove them when I can.
9B2E9C15-A1FD-4F3F-8C5E-72BEC105360D.jpeg
. I should add, I have seen my flatworms attach to my snails just to hitch a ride. They dont hurt them.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom