Red White Shrimp

1. japswe Initiate Member

cd5ce2505efd877421abed0e251b40f9.jpg

I'd like to add some of these shrimp to one of my planted tanks (45 gallon) housing 2 rams, 8 tetras and red tail shark and a couple of corys. Will they be ok in that community? And how many can I add? Thanks

2. goplecos Well Known Member Member

Yes, but you really need to get rid of the red tailed shark. They will eat the shrimp, and when full grown they don't do well with corys.

3. Stephen Hiatt Well Known Member Member

As stated above, remove the red tailed shark as it would eat the shrimp. These shrimp are called Crystal Red Shrimp and are extremely delicate. They require low TDS, yet mineralized water, and also a low pH, with 6.2-6.4 being ideal. They are also very finicky about temperature, 68-78 is what they can tolerate, with 74-75 being best. These shrimp are not for beginners. If these are your first shrimp, they are almost guaranteed to die in your tank. Red Rili shrimp are a good alternative, as they are very hardy shrimp, and can live in most tanks (as long as none of the fish eat them). Your tank could likely house 100+ Red Rili shrimp without issues.

This is the best site you can buy the shrimp from. They're cheap and have great customer service:
    https://aquaticarts.com/collections/freshwater-shrimp/products/red-rili-shrimp?variant=15337085830

4. japswe Initiate Member

Thanks for all the info!

5. BuddyD Member Member

I had 2 Red Crystals that disappeared. I also have a Red Tail Shark. My regular neocaridina shrimp are fine.

6. BuddyD Member Member

High priced compared to Trinsfish and some others i've seen.

7. Stephen Hiatt Well Known Member Member

High priced? They're only $2.80 a piece; I don't see that as being expensive.

8. BuddyD Member Member

I saw 4.70 where were you looking?

9. Stephen Hiatt Well Known Member Member

I did the math wrong they're actually $2.50 each. Screenshot_20170715-213353.png

10. BuddyD Member Member

You're talking about bulk buying of 20 for 48.50. I don't want 20 of the same shrimp. I'm talking price per shrimp.

11. Stephen Hiatt Well Known Member Member

You'll eventually have 20 anyways once they start breeding.

12. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Red cyrstal shrimp are not good for community tanks

13. BuddyD Member Member

But i won't be paying out 48.50 for them.

14. Stephen Hiatt Well Known Member Member

$48.50 isn't bad for 20 considering the 10 CRS and 10 Dream Blue Velvets I plan to buy are $110 total.

15. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Red rili shrimp aren't the same as red crystal shrimp. Red rilis are neocardinia while red crystals are caridinia

16. Stephen Hiatt Well Known Member Member

I said earlier that they would be a good alternative. I know they're different.

17. BottomDweller Fishlore VIP Member

Right, sorry :)