Red Wag Swordtail Won't Eat

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Vortexed, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Vortexed

VortexedValued MemberMember

Hello!

So I got a red wag sword tail around tuesday, and whenever I feed him food, he just spits it out. So I thought maybe; he doesn't like his food. So I tried another variety of food, same thing. Spits it out. Any suggestions before he dies of hunger? He may have eaten tiny bits of food to keep him alive, but I want him to eat healthy.

Other fish are eating fine.

2. neongirlValued MemberMember

Maybe try some frozen foods, bloodworms or emerald entree. My fish really love those. Of course thaw it first :)

3. OP
    OP
    Vortexed

Ok thanks! Ill try that out

4. jackson tropicals

jackson tropicalsNew MemberMember

i think it has something wrong with its mouth or stomach

5. OP
    OP
    Vortexed

Possibly but I wouldnt jump to conclusions. Ill try different foods and if that fails than maybe I should treat it somehow. If I cant treat it I might just euthanize it, though that is a very last resort.

6. Armypro

ArmyproValued MemberMember

What is his/her Tankmates, Swordtails are social fish and love to be in in pairs (Just 1-2 Swordtails, this goes with all Livebearers). My Male Swordtail didn't eat ever since my Female passed away, he'll eat Frozen Brine Shrimp just fine but refuses the flakes. I got a Red Velvet and a Neon Female Swordtail last night (My Male is a Red Velvet). He likes the company of the Red Velvet Swordtail but oddly enough my Male Australian Rainbowfish is schooling with the Neon Swordtail, never would've expected that. I need to get more Rainbowfish, or else he'll think the Neon Swordtail is one.
    I'll keep you updated if that is the case (If you only have one Swordtail), check if his/her tankmates are annoying your Swordtail, that can also be a cause. I personally wouldn't think it would be anything internal.
    *facepalm* my Male is trying to mate with my Female Red Velvet...

Should've mentioned before. What are the Water Parameters in your Aquarium, high ammonia and other levels can cause stress which can cause them to not eat.

If you see him pecking at your Substrate, Ornaments, or even Plants don't worry about him as much. They eat Micro-organisms on them (So they're like a added cleaning crew, except they're not your designated cleaning crew). From what I know all (Or most) Livebearers peck at Algae from time to time. It may be just mine because I feed them once a day but I've seen my Male Swordtail, 3 Female Swordtails, 2 Male Guppies, and my Platy all eating Algae off the Ornaments in their Aquarium.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2017
  7. OP
    OP
    Vortexed

His tank mates are a golden molly and pictus catfish. Him and molly always hang around together.

My ammonia is 0.25pp or 0.. Im not familiar with the kit so I cant say for sure, but im adding a bit of prime and doing water changes in case.

And that explains why my molly keeps pecking the decorations lol

8. Armypro

Your Swordtail and your Molly hanging out together could be a sign that you may need some more Swordtails. Is the Molly eating as well? What are the Water Parameters of your Aquarium? How big is your Aquarium?

9. OP
    OP
    Vortexed

The molly is eating well, its a 30 gallon tank (trying to rehome pictus, im aware of that problem), and I gotta check water parameters when I get home. Right now all I know is 0-0.25ppm ammonia, 0 nitrites.

10. Armypro

Your Water Parameters are alright, I'm trying to stay away from the chance of it being a Internal Parasite/disease as no one would want that (If your concerned I would treat with a natural immune system booster). Most Livebearers are alright being with other Livebearers (Such as a Swordtail and a Molly). I'd suggest getting new food, what do you feed him right now? If he is starving then he will accept the food your giving him (Has he eaten the food your offering to him now before). Frozen Brine Shrimp for me is the best food I've used, everything loves Brine Shrimp. Even my Female ate some before she passed away (I think it was to wasting disease, sure hope not). I'd try meaty foods such as Bloodworms, as mentioned above, Frozen Brine Shrimp, Beef Heart, and other meaty foods as almost all fish in the wild are omnivores or Carnivores (This includes Livebearers). You could also try Vegetables, all my fish nip at it (Except Carnivorous fish, such as my Half Banded Spiny Eel). You don't really have to let the Frozen Foods thaw (At least for me, I'm always a bit rushed), what I do is rub it until it starts falling apart and pieces will float everywhere, or else just one fish hoards it all and doesn't let any others get it so don't just stick it in there.

11. OP
    OP
    Vortexed

I'm feeding it tetraplus fish flakes with shrimp flavor (So it says). I think another problem might be my pictus and molly are taking all the food before the swordtail can.

12. Armypro

Try and spread the flakes everywhere in the Aquarium, if your just dropping it in the water then it won't sink, and Swordtails (And Mollies, I think) are bottom-dwelling fish. What I do is rinse my hands with hot water, take a fair bit of flakes (May grab too much because my hands are wet, don't want to dry it off with a towel but it works out since there are a lot of aggressive eaters in my Aquarium) dip them into the water and try and spread it out so everyone gets some. If not you may have to overfeed a bit. You could also try feeding them a bit more each day (But smaller portions each time). You could also put a bit of Garlic in the Aquarium (It increases their metabolism I think, which encourages them to eat more).

13. OP
    OP
    Vortexed

Alright ill try that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice