Red Wag Swordtail Or Platy?

Clay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
They are listed as red wag swordtails, but they are much smaller and one is much chubbier than my current female red wag. One of them also doesn't have the sloping of the head, and if it doesn't I don't see it. Curious if they are actually swordtails and are still growing or if they are platies. All the red wag's were next to each other at the store and I still couldn't see much of a difference.

These are the best pictures I could get at the moment. They are still very skittish. If you need better ones I can take some more.

Clay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
They're all platies
What are you basing that off of? Is it because the bellies look square-ish?

The more I study them the more I'm thinking platy, even though they came from the same red wag swordtail tank as the one female I know for sure is a sword.

I just don't trust this store's judgement. It took me over 5 minutes to explain to the guy the difference between male and female livebearers. I would not be surprised to find the 3 new ones are platies and where in the wrong tank.

Coptapia

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Swords have longer bodies and a subtly different look. It's easy after 46 years of seeing them, but not so easy to explain.

Last edited:

Clay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Swords have longer bodies and a subtly different look. It's easy after 46 years of seeing them, but not so easy to explain.
Hmmm, okay. Thinking one is actually a swordtail like Hornet1 said though. I was finally able to see it next to the much larger female I already had and she looks pretty much the same as her just smaller. When she's next to other two new ones I bought she looks longer. I don't know, guess I'll just wait a few weeks and see what she looks like then.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The problem is that Wag was one of the first discoveries from crossing Platies and Swordtails. Genes in the swordtail turned the comet markings of Platies into completely black fins, or Wags. These were crossed back into platies to get Wag Platies as well, and the two strains seem to be the most compatible between the two "species" groups. So some specimens of Wag Sword have shorter bodies, while some Wag Platies have longer bodies than the normal platy.

That said, I would call the above fish Platies, as their caudal peduncles are fairly short and thick.

Clay

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The problem is that Wag was one of the first discoveries from crossing Platies and Swordtails. Genes in the swordtail turned the comet markings of Platies into completely black fins, or Wags. These were crossed back into platies to get Wag Platies as well, and the two strains seem to be the most compatible between the two "species" groups. So some specimens of Wag Sword have shorter bodies, while some Wag Platies have longer bodies than the normal platy.

That said, I would call the above fish Platies, as their caudal peduncles are fairly short and thick.
Thank you for the interesting information! The caudal peduncle is the section between the analfin and tail fin correct? Would you say that the face slope would be a tell tale sign or can platies have the slope and swords have more rounded faces in the Red Wag variety? The large female I have seems to have a thicker caudal peduncle, but she is very long. I'd say she's the same size as the male. I'll just assume the three smaller ones are platies as that seems to be the consensus here.

The only reason I want to know exactly what I have, is because I wasn't looking to cross breed platies with my male sword.

chromedome52

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
There is more slope to the face of a Platy than there is to a sword, because Swords are mostly surface dwellers in the wild and Platies are not. The sword needs a low profile to sneak up on floating bugs and stuff.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom