Red Wag Swordtail Has Little Pineconing?!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Vortexed, Apr 20, 2017.

?

Should I add stress coat ASAP?

1. Yes

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. No

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Vortexed

VortexedValued MemberMember

It's been a while since I posted here, but im having an issue and im really worried about the fish.

I come home from school and I look and see a little bit of white ontop of his head, then he turns around and his scales are puffed up! Like pineconing, but only in a small area near the top of the fish. It has white under the scales. Should I add stress coat? Ammonia is 0. My profile pic is a pic of my aqaurium if you think he scratched himself.

2. meyowmeow

meyowmeowValued MemberMember

Would you be able to post a pic or two of the problem? It sounds like it could be fungal or an injury. So sorry your buddy is having issues! :(

3. OP
    OP
    Vortexed

It was hard to get a pic of, sorry

Attached Files:

4. meyowmeow

It is hard to tell from the pic but I know how that goes! I can't tell if it is fungal or an injury. My advice would be to either move him to a hospital tank with daily water changes and monitor him or if you don't have a hospital tank - regular changes and gravel vac in your main tank. If it gets worse, treat for fungal infection, if it starts to clear up on its own I would guess it to be an injury and it should heal on its own under good water conditions.

5. ASquidabs0727Well Known MemberMember

Could be dropsy. Is he bloated?

6. OP
    OP
    Vortexed

He is not. He is pretty skinny actually.

7. ASquidabs0727Well Known MemberMember

Is he lethargic or eating well?

8. OP
    OP
    Vortexed

Not lethlargic, eating well

9. OP
    OP
    Vortexed

Not lethlargic, eating well

10. ASquidabs0727Well Known MemberMember

11. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

Is this your 20g? Can you list the rest of your parameters - pH, temp, nitrite, nitrate?

I can't see too well from the pictures but if your profile is accurate and the list of inhabitants are accurate, has your molly or pictus shown any aggression towards it? FYI, the pictus is a predatory fish and will prey on small fish when lights go out and they are sleeping. I would rehome him either way as your tank isn't big enough and they need to be in a group of at least 6.

12. meyowmeow

Is your fish looking any better or worse?

13. OP
    OP
    Vortexed

Its looking a bit better now.

I got rid of my pictus weeks ago. The molly and swordtail actually like to hang around each other. Non aggressive.

14. el337

el337Fishlore LegendMember

What are the water parameters? Issue could be due to water quality.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice