Red Wag And Golden Wag Platy Mix?

Ohio Mark

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
I'm just curious... I saw a picture of a tank with red & gold wag platys mixed. It was a beautiful sight! I'm thinking of emptying my big guppy tank and doing platys in there, but wondering what the fry might look like. Has anyone tried this mixture?

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Firstly, these fish are able to breed with each other because they are from the same species Xiphophorus maculatus or the Southern Platy. The fry are most likely going to contain gold and red in them or may just carry the gene. I wouldn't be surprised if red is more of a dominat color in platys also.

Ohio Mark

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
DutchAquarium said:
Firstly, these fish are able to breed with each other because they are from the same species Xiphophorus maculatus or the Southern Platy. The fry are most likely going to contain gold and red in them or may just carry the gene. I wouldn't be surprised if red is more of a dominat color in platys also.
Yes, I assumed they'd cross-breed. I was more curious about the color of any cross-bred fry and genetics are something I know very little about. I had mental images of orangey-red fry, but was sure it would be more complicated. Thanks for your response!

DutchAquarium

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Most likely you won't get orange fry, but rather a red tail and a yellow body. Something along those lines. However, in other fish, red can be a very dominant color. I don't know h0w it would affect a platy though.

Ohio Mark

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
DutchAquarium said:
Most likely you won't get orange fry, but rather a red tail and a yellow body. Something along those lines. However, in other fish, red can be a very dominant color. I don't know h0w it would affect a platy though.
I think I'm going to try it. It could be interesting to see the results. I've had platys before, but usually kept the strains separate.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom