Red v green

Flying hellfish
I have started a low tec tank that I add a bit of co2 booster and fert tabs.
Most of my red leave plants struggle but my green flourish. Is there a different requirement for red plants?

Mcasella
Most red colored plants need a higher/brighter light source and good ferts to maintain the red.

Flying hellfish
Most red colored plants need a higher/brighter light source and good ferts to maintain the red.
HI Mcasella: I have a T5 light for 12 hours. I use apI co2 boost, leaf zone and root tabs. What variety of red plants would you recommend?

Mcasella
Rotala looks really nice both green and red variants, it grows well under brighter light and warmer water (70s), but needs a little more iron to maintain the red. I personally like dwarf lilies that are red, like rubra and stellata. Those grow in low light okay and put out many more leaves with high light and ferts, to the point you'll want to trim off some.

Flying hellfish
Rotala looks really nice both green and red variants, it grows well under brighter light and warmer water (70s), but needs a little more iron to maintain the red. I personally like dwarf lilies that are red, like rubra and stellata. Those grow in low light okay and put out many more leaves with high light and ferts, to the point you'll want to trim off some.
I do have various rotala's but the red has faded. Also my grass type plants eg contortionist val all died after adding co2 booster. Thinking of adding red tiger lotus to get some colour.

Aquaphobia
Red plants need an iron-enriched fertilizer to enhance and maintain a brilliant red colour

Jocelyn Adelman
And Val's are notorious for not loving co2

Aquaphobia
Is it CO2 they don't like or just the liquid carbon supplements?

Flying hellfish
And Val's are notorious for not loving co2
Yeah I lost most my val's

Skyy2112
They are different compounds. Research is key. A CO2 booster will NOT help w/ stuff w/ CO2 requirements under many circumstances like - Dwarf Baby Tears.

Also, w/o CO2 and a say, 40 gallon or smaller, with a ton of water movement you can actually add CO2 in based on exchange rates.

PlantedTanks
High light, co2, and iron. Nutrient rich substrate is also a must like dirt or aqua soil. If you skimp on any of these especially co2, you're going to just be battling algae the entire time.

PS Val's love co2, but will melt from liquid carbon sources.

Flying hellfish
High light, co2, and iron. Nutrient rich substrate is also a must like dirt or aqua soil. If you skimp on any of these especially co2, you're going to just be battling algae the entire time.

PS Val's love co2, but will melt from liquid carbon sources.
Ive already added API root tabs if I stop adding co2 booster will I get a algae problem?

PlantedTanks
Ive already added API root tabs if I stop adding co2 booster will I get a algae problem?
My very first planted tank I used gravel and root tabs. They helped I guess, but an actual plant substrate is the real deal. Especially dirt, I absolutely love it.

But for algae, maybe or maybe not. Liquid co2 works great for killing algae. Unless you add actual co2 to your tank, keep using it. Plants always need a source of carbon so why not.

Flying hellfish
My very first planted tank I used gravel and root tabs. They helped I guess, but an actual plant substrate is the real deal. Especially dirt, I absolutely love it.

But for algae, maybe or maybe not. Liquid co2 works great for killing algae. Unless you add actual co2 to your tank, keep using it. Plants always need a source of carbon so why not.
If the wife let me get another tank id start again from scratch. My other tank is just a 10 gallon tank I use as a quarantine tank. Ive got too many fish to re home for a rebuild.

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
midna
  • Question
Replies
Views
JavaMossMan
  • Question
Replies
Views
Cooperman411