Red Tiger Lotus Off To A Bad Start

Discussion in 'Aquarium Plants' started by strong style, Apr 25, 2017.

1. strong style

strong style Valued Member Member

I recently bought a couple of tiger lotus. One had three or four leaves, a full bulbs, and lots of roots. The other seems to just be sprouting and has a heavy bulb with no visible roots like the larger one.

Unfortunately, the larger plant has not done well with all its leaves except falling off after seemingly rotting/weakening at the base of the stem. Now one leaf is left barely hanging on by a somewhat translucent section of stem attached to the bulb. The roots look healthy and strong still. Can this plant recover and is there anything I can do?

Also, for the baby, sprouting lotus, is the lack of obvious roots a worry? The bulb and stem seem sturdy and healthy as of now.

Thanks for your help!

2. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Do you have root tabs in your substrate.

I have 4 in my tank and They are extremely heavy root feeders. I have to keep 2 tabs near each plant or they start to die off

3. OP
    OP
    strong style

strong style Valued Member Member

So the bulb lost all its leaves but I see a small stem sprouting again. I will get root tabs ASAP, thank you!

4. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

If you have anything growing nearby add a few more root tabs otherwise it will steal all the nutrients.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice