Red Tiger Lotus Off To A Bad Start

1. strong style

strong style Valued Member Member

I recently bought a couple of tiger lotus. One had three or four leaves, a full bulbs, and lots of roots. The other seems to just be sprouting and has a heavy bulb with no visible roots like the larger one.

Unfortunately, the larger plant has not done well with all its leaves except falling off after seemingly rotting/weakening at the base of the stem. Now one leaf is left barely hanging on by a somewhat translucent section of stem attached to the bulb. The roots look healthy and strong still. Can this plant recover and is there anything I can do?

Also, for the baby, sprouting lotus, is the lack of obvious roots a worry? The bulb and stem seem sturdy and healthy as of now.

Thanks for your help!

2. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

Do you have root tabs in your substrate.

I have 4 in my tank and They are extremely heavy root feeders. I have to keep 2 tabs near each plant or they start to die off

3. OP
    OP
    strong style

strong style Valued Member Member

So the bulb lost all its leaves but I see a small stem sprouting again. I will get root tabs ASAP, thank you!

4. s

smee82 Fishlore VIP Member

If you have anything growing nearby add a few more root tabs otherwise it will steal all the nutrients.