Red Texas Won't Eat

Discussion in 'Texas Cichlid' started by Sanchez209, Jul 1, 2018.

1. Sanchez209

Sanchez209New MemberMember

i got a 6in red Texas about 3 days ago all he does is hide and hasn't came out to eat once yet any tips?

2. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

I see in your Aquarium Info that you are unaware of the nitrogen cycle (words will be link to article explain it). Once you have read up on that my answer will make more sense:

If you have elevated ammonia and/or nitrite levels it will stress fish (if not down right kill them) and stressed fish will hide and not eat. If you have 0ppm ammonia and 0ppm nitrite, my guess would be that he could just be shy. I know little about Red Texas cichlids, so I don't know if it is normal for them to hide out for a few days before they will eat. But it could also be a matter of it's being intimated by a tank mate so...

What size tank do you have and what other fish do you have in it?

But I can't stress enough how important understanding the nitrogen cycle is, and how important having a cycled tank is.

3. OP
    OP
    Sanchez209

Sense I be ben he heee I learned a bit about the cycle I did have a ammonia spike yesterday beacause I noticed sum goldfish had ammonia burn but I got sum benefitial bacteria and got rid of all the goldfish I have a 55 gallon with a baby oscar 8 baby convicts and a red Texas about 5in and green Texas about 3in and 2 angel fish sense I added the benefitial bacteria my tank has cleared up a bit but wen I went to feed them my angel fish we're hanging out arpund the middle of the tank instead of top and we're hesitant to eat and my red Texas just hides in a skull I have in the tank I'll see him out but wen I walk to the tank he runs to the skull I'm hoping he's just shy

4. jdhef

jdhefModeratorModerator Member

Can you list yout total stocking in this tank. I'm not real good with stocking, but I think it's possible that you do have some stocking issues, which could be part of the problem.

5. OP
    OP
    Sanchez209

8 baby convicts 2 Texas a baby oscar and 2 angel fish had 13 goldfish but after finding out they cause so much ammonia got rid of them after getting rid of them I notice my tank clearing up

6. Sarah73

Sarah73Fishlore VIPMember

How big is your tank exactly?

7. OP
    OP
    Sanchez209

55 gallon

8. Sarah73

You're already overstocked with an Oscar and angels alone. Please remove all of the other fish. Oscar by itself would be ok. Goldfish aren't good beginner fish. They each get 1-2 feet depending on the type of goldfish it is.

9. OP
    OP
    Sanchez209

Yeah I go
    t rid of the goldfish Ima find a pair with the convicts and the oscars just a baby so Ima get a bigger tank once he gets alil but bigger

10. Sarah73

An Oscar alone should be in a 55 gallon.

11. OP
    OP
    Sanchez209

Even a 1 in oscar?

12. Sarah73

No, but they grow quickly. So when it reaches full growth, will need to be by itself. You are putting more work on yourself by adding more fish to the tank. You also have to worry about growth and make sure your not overcrowding the tank.

13. OP
    OP
    Sanchez209

Yeah your right

14. johnbetta

johnbettaWell Known MemberMember

i would feed brine shrimp dipped in garlic juice and get ammonia lock for your tank it sounds like ammonia poisaning cheers john

15. trainandfishguy

trainandfishguyValued MemberMember

Way too many fish. As others have mentioned, you made a very common mistake. Unless you really want to keep the Oscar, I would rehome him and keep the Texas and Convicts.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2018