Red tank water!? Help

Discussion in 'Freshwater Beginners' started by Jequila, Apr 20, 2010.

1. Jequila

JequilaValued MemberMember

My Betta Takeshi had dropsy, and the LFS advised that I medicate the tank with 'Aquari-Cycline' tablets. They are yellow, and dyed the water slightly yellow. After three days of the medication he passed away :( The thing is though, is that the yellow has turned to red now! I figured I'd just take 15% of the water out and replace it each day, so as not to shock my catfish, and it would eventually thin and clear up. But... I've been doing this for two days and it seems to be getting darker! What is going on, and what should I do? :;dk

2. Nutter

NutterFishlore VIPMember

Continue with the daily water changes & most importantly add some activated carbon into the filter. You might have to change the carbon out a few times over the next week or so but it will remove the medication over about a week. Aquari-Cycline is one of the harder meds to remove from the water.

3. OP
    OP
    Jequila

The things they don't tell you when they sell you meds :rolleyes:
    Thanks, i'll pick some up tomorrow :)

4. Craig-D

Craig-DValued MemberMember

I too recommend carbon and daily water changes. In the future, don't medicate one sick fish in your community tank. Remove it and treat in a hospital tank. A lot of medications do more harm than good to healthy fish and many of the antibiotics will destroy the cycle, thus putting all tank residents in jeopardy. Aquari-Cycline is such a broad spectrum antibiotic. It is likely that your nitrifying bacteria have been compromised by it. That red water may be the dead remains of the bacteria. If I were you, I'd keep an eye on your water parameters and prepare for the possibility of having to recycle the tank.

5. OP
    OP
    Jequila

Oh dear :(
    I have a 20L tank cycling at the moment, so if worse comes to worst they could probably go in there for a little holiday.