Red-tailed sharks chasing

LilBlub

So, my red-tailed sharks have been chasing each other around like in the above video.
What are they doing?? Is this mating/spawning behavior or aggression? They never seem to actually bite each other or sustain injuries. They just chase each other around and then rest for a bit, then go back to chasing. They don’t do it constantly or anything, usually just in the evenings for some reason.
I’m pretty sure one is male and one is female, and they were given to me a few months back by someone who’s tank had broken and they had to get rid of all the fish. They’re at least seven years old and have lived together their whole lives.
Tank is 55 gallons, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites, 10-15 nitrates. Tank mates are angelfish, kuhli loaches, black neon tetras, silver hatchetfish and snails. All get along very well.

Madeline Peterson

It's possible they're thinking of mating. Its possible they're playing. They might even be trying to establish dominance. Whatever they're doing, if they're resting sometimes and not hurting each other, don't worry about it.

Your nitrates are definitely low enough for mating to be a possibility. If that does happen, congrats. Let us know!

Upvote 0

LilBlub

That would be cool! I haven’t been able to find much about red-tailed sharks breeding in captivity (at least not without special setups). Whatever they’re doing, it’s entertaining at least!

Upvote 0

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Ouse
Replies
Views
Mcasella
  • Question
Replies
Views