red tailed shark not black?

Discussion in 'Red Tail Shark' started by kayleigh, Apr 12, 2010.

1. kayleighNew MemberMember

Hi all,

i have just been given a red tailed shark, only he is not black like the ones i have seen he is grey. can anybody tell me why this is please?
    He seems happy & healthy, just lacks colour?

2. platy benWell Known MemberMember

3. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Hello Kayleigh,

If it is a Red Tail Shark it should turn darker as it gets acclimated to its new home. Their color can also fade depending on their mood. For now I'd say give it more time.

Ken

4. kayleighNew MemberMember

Thank you for your replies.
    Platy ben- i did look at rainbow shark pics, he isnt one of them- but thanks for advice.

Ken- Thank you very much for your post. we only had him given to us on friday so i look forward to him turning black over time

5. bolivianbabyFishlore LegendMember

Anytime my RTS is stressed, he turns gray. When he's happy and healthy, he's black.

I hope this helps.

6. Red1313Fishlore VIPMember

Females also have a grey belly :p He'll blacken up as he settles in :p

7. AlyeskaGirlFishlore VIPMember

I agree, he'll blackin up when he adjusted to his new home. Make sure you have some caves for him to hide in. I'm sure you do, that will help. What are you feeding him?

8. lyndraValued MemberMember

our RTS turns light grey everynight when the light goes out - I used to freak out and think he was stressed but he seems fine in the morning

9. AquaristFishlore LegendMember

Hello Lyndra,

Most fish will lighten their colors at night when the lights go out. It seems to be their relaxed mode :) Try not to worry.

Ken

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice