Red Tailed Catfish Feeing Amount. Question

1. iancrayguy

iancrayguy Valued Member Member

Hi does anyone know how much to feed a juvenile Red tailed catfish? Last night I put in about 3 cubes of blood worms(not just for him) and he eats enough where his belly is round, but when I woke up the next day I noticed that his belly was just flat like his hole body. Am I not feeding him enough?

2. Mike1995

Mike1995 Well Known Member Member

do you have a 10,000 gallon aquarium on hand? He will need it at full size. 5ft, 200-400 lbs.

3. C

Cardeater Valued Member Member

Those fish eat a lot.

I know you weren't asking, but what the previous poster said is unfortunately true. Those fish are cute but sadly they are in the group of tank Buster's that shouldn't even be in the hobby.

They can get over five feet long.

It's too bad the stores sell fish that are tank busters. This is true with common plecos. People with ten gallon tanks are sold a fish as an algae cleaner that can become 2ft long.

I love my pleco but I'm angry that years ago I was sold this fish and never told how big it would get. I'm lucky that I ended up with a hypostomus that maxes out just under a foot. I'm lucky that I ended up with a 125g that can fit him.

Some other tank Buster's like the red tail cat are pacu, and irridescent sharks.

4. OP
    OP
    iancrayguy

iancrayguy Valued Member Member

No I don’t what my plan is when he gets to give us to give him to some one that has a 10,000 or higher when he gets to big for my tank

Or give him to a aquarium but does anyone know how much