Red Tail sick, need help/advice!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matt Green

Reaction score
Hi. I'll start by stating the issue with the red tail black shark itself. Over the past few days (I assume it has been going on a little longer without notice) he has not been eating at all and sitting on the bottom on the tank inside "his" cave, not moving or swimming much at all, almost supporting himself against the inside of the cave. He looks pale and is getting very thin, it's worrying me. His fins look thinned out as well, no visible signs of rot that I can see though.. He is just over a year old now and has been very healthy and active up to this point.

I regularly rotate between flakes, freeze dried blood worms and algae wafers for food.

The tank itself is a 30 gallon tank. I keep up with maintenance and have never had an issue with the tank or any other fish in the year and a half that i've had the set up running. Along with the Red Tail I have: 1 Bala Shark, 1 Bristlenose Pleco, 1 Zebra Loach, 3 Odessa Barbs and 3 Blue Neon Danios.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!! Thank you in advance!

AquaticBrandon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Welcome to Fishlore!
I will say that some of the fish that you have are not compatible. The red tailed shark needs a larger tank, a 55 gallon minimum IMO. They get pretty big and get aggressive when they start to grow. How big is he? He could be stunted since it was in a small tank. Also the Bala shark needs a larger tank as well. They get huge and are schooling fish which require 6+ of their own kind. Bala sharks and red tailed sharks don't really do well mixed together because both species don't get along with other "shark" species. Same thing goes with the loaches, barbs and danios. These are all schooling fish and need Atleast 6+ of their own kind. I would recommend rehoming a few species and upgrading to a large tank.

OP
M

Matt Green

Reaction score
I'm in the process of getting a very nice 130 gallon tank, will have it set up and ready to go in a little over a month I hope. Like I said, up to this point, there have not been any other issues in the smaller tank and the species have been quite friendly towards one another.

I'd say the Red Tail is about 3-4 inches currently. EXTREMELY THIN at the moment though, he isn't looking good at all.

Has anyone has this issue in the past, is there anything that can be done?

AquaticBrandon

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I will say that I think the reason why the red tailed shark is hiding and looks very skinny is because he might be stressed. He might be stressed out from being in a small tank and or an overstocked tank

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toggle Sidebar

Top Bottom