red tail shark

Newbern

Reaction score
I am not a beginner to fresh water fish but I am new to the red tail shark I recently acquired. I have had
her for about a month. In a 55 gal w/ family of corys and a 6" balla since the beginning. Doing fine showing no signs of stress, but I have noticed in the last two days that her color is fadded. She seems to be swimming around fine with no visible signs of disease. However, I am concerned with the sudden change in tail color - dull red from a bright red. All my water parameters are good (did a 25% wc 3 days ago). I figured this was could be a sign of stress but couldn't imagine where it is coming from all of a sudden. The balla does not bother with her at all and she has plenty of hiding places to choose from.
Any suggestions... . possibly food?. I am feeding flakes, shrimp pellets, algae wafers as a variety.
PS. I acquired her from an individual and not a pet store, so she is probably around 3-4" already.
Thanks for any help.

Skadunkadunk

Valued Member
Reaction score
Some fish begin to lose color as they age or when there is a change in the food or environment. Has there been any changes at all.

Jason

Well Known Member
Reaction score
She might have got a scare because red-tails colour increases to a brighter deeper red as they age not the other way around. Should be ok in a few days.

Fenrir

Reaction score
I read somewhere that coloration can also be affected by their diet...Maybe you should try varying her food a bit and see if anything changes? Just a thought^_^

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom