Red Tail Shark

1. Laxin10

Laxin10 Member Member

Hey,

So I have room for a 40b tank (unfortunately don't have room for a 55, my house is filled with tanks). Since I've never kept them before, I was wondering if I could house a single Red Tail Shark in one with no other tank mates (I know they get to be about 6 in). I've been fascinated with them since I had originally started this hobby 5 years ago.

2. FishFish221

FishFish221 Well Known Member Member

Yes, you can.

3. OP
    OP
    Laxin10

Laxin10 Member Member

What about substrate? I always prefer using gravel over sand (aside from my salt water tank). I know sharper gravel might hurt them. Would larger more rounder stones be okay?

4. Lance0414

Lance0414 Well Known Member Member

As long as the gravel is round then it should be fine and large round stones should be fine also.

5. fissh

fissh Well Known Member Member

Try to get as large as you can, so you know you have a show specimen. They do live a looong time, I saw one that was 22 years old and 7 inches long!

6. toolman

toolman Well Known Member Member

I had 2 in my 75gallon tank when I first got it, were some of the coolest fish to watch.

Love this idea!

7. OP
    OP
    Laxin10

Laxin10 Member Member

And what about flow? Are RTS sharks happy with a little extra current aside from the filter? I have a spare power head that I've been wanting to use.