Red Tail Shark Question

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by delta5, Aug 9, 2014.

1. delta5

delta5Well Known MemberMember

After I rehome all non-cichlids from my 55g and add a bristlenose will it be possible to house a RTS with cichlids? Planning on keeping the 10 tiger barbs in a dirt/planted 20g long.

2. Adam55

Adam55Well Known MemberMember

I don't see why not, but what sort of cichlids? I have a RTS with a firemouth now and they never really take notice of each other.

3. Phishphin

PhishphinWell Known MemberMember

Like Adam said, the real question is what cichlids? :)

If there is a single "good" territory, there may be some brief infighting.

4. OP
    OP
    delta5

Yellow labs and an acei. I think ill have 5 yellow labs, 5 acei, 5 third mumbla, bristlenose or albino, RTS. IDK how dated this thinking is but I keep reading divide your tank size by 2 and thats how many cichlids you can have. So I figured 15 african cichlids and the other 2 I mentioned would be fine. Of course before adding the third african species I'll upgrade my filtration. (currently aq50, C-220)

5. Phishphin

I guess the only concern I'd have with a heavy stocking of african cichlids is that the RTS may not appreciate it as much and may become much more aggressive with interlopers once it hits adulthood. Although, I've never mixed the two so I couldn't really say. If you are going for an african biotope, I would maybe reconsider fish outside of that jurisdiction. Just my :;2cents

6. OP
    OP
    delta5

What if I kept it to 9 labs and the acei I already have?

7. Phishphin

I suspect it would probably be ok. RTS, while aggressive with their own kind, seem oddly tolerant of other fish... so long as they get their space. :)

8. OP
    OP
    delta5

Will a RTS push it's way through thick plants? I'm thinking it'd love the back corner with a little cave, driftwood and lots of plants. make the middle of the tank open space, and keep the right heavily stocked with limestone. I'm thinking i'd like a taller pile of rocks verse wider.

9. Phishphin

That sounds like an excellent idea! I'm sure the RTS would love it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice