Red Tail Shark With Sae?

AlekN

Reaction score
I have a 55g community tank with loads of plants and cover. I have 3 Siamese Algae Eaters in the tank and I want to get a Red Tail Shark. I know that the RTS is aggressive towards other sharks and fish that look similar. So my question is will these two species be fine together? I understand they will probably chase each other around and keep territories which is fine as long as it doesn't kill them. Has anyone kept these together? Thank you for any feedback!

jmaldo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
@AlekN

I had a beautiful 3.5" RTS
When I first started I had 3 SAE and decided to get RTS. They grew up together. Everything was fine in my 55 community for 3 months then he became a jerk, decided the tank was his. Always chasing everyone including SAE's approx. same size. Then moved him to a tank with giant danios same size if not larger and same issue chasing the danios. I ended up trading him in at the LFS for some cories. Even the store clerk said they can become jerks, he was going to try and put him in a tank with larger fish.
Just my experience.

Good Luck

Learning all the Time.

AlekN

Reaction score
@AlekN

I had a beautiful 3.5" RTS
When I first started I had 3 SAE and decided to get RTS. They grew up together. Everything was fine in my 55 community for 3 months then he became a jerk, decided the tank was his. Always chasing everyone including SAE's approx. same size. Then moved him to a tank with giant danios same size if not larger and same issue chasing the danios. I ended up trading him in at the LFS for some cories. Even the store clerk said they can become jerks, he was going to try and put him in a tank with larger fish.
Just my experience.

Good Luck

Learning all the Time.
Thanks for sharing your experience. Will help with my decision.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom