Red Tail Shark Not Well

Discussion in 'Aquarium Stocking Questions' started by Scottshark, Apr 14, 2017.

1. S

Scottshark New Member Member

Hi all...I've had a red tail black shark in my cycled tank for 2 months...hes grown nicely...always looked really good and healthy...and up until today was always grazing the rocks and swimming about....since I added 2 small clown loach One week ago I've lost 2 neons....and today my shark has gone all lethargic... Hes more floating than swimming and not grazing at all...could the clowns be bullying him...even though he's twice the size

2. Al913

Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

What size tank?

What are the exact parameters? How did you cycle the tank? What test kit are you using?

Also clown loaches are a shoaling fish and need a minimum group of 5. They get 8-12 inches and need at least a 6 feet tank :)

3. OP
    OP
    S

3 foot tank....0 ammonia.. 0 nitrites.. 5 nitrates.... 7.2 p.h....I've since found out about the future size of the clowns....but I'm more worried about the health of the shark

4. AvalancheDave

AvalancheDave Well Known Member Member

Are you using any chemicals?

5. OP
    OP
    S

The only chemical I use is tap safe for the weekly water changes

6. AvalancheDave

What test kit are you using?

7. OP
    OP
    S

Not sure of the make.... But it's showed the bad aswell as the good/cycled results

8. AvalancheDave

It does sounds like a water quality issue rather than disease or injury.

9. OP
    OP
    S

The test kit I've used went to the book when cycling the tank....and the fish have been fine for 3 months until I added the clown loach (my favourite fish)....I hope the shark gets better

10. Al913

Al913 Fishlore VIP Member

Is the test kit a liquid or strip?

Is there any physical sign of stress or disease?

11. APierce

APierce Well Known Member Member

Do you have a qt tank or something you can put the shark in, or else the clowns in?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice