Red Tail Shark looks sick:(

Discussion in 'Red Tail Shark' started by SonicM, Dec 7, 2012.

1. SonicM

SonicM New Member Member

I've had a RTS for almost a year now, first he started off in a 10 gallon tank and then moved to a 20 gallon tank. In the ten gallon tank he had friends and they got along. In the 20 gallon tank we initially had him alone but then my boyfriend wanted to get him friends so he bought 2 convict cichlids and a jack dempsey cichlid. Ever since we got them he has started to look horrible. They live with me so I notice all the small changes but my boyfriend says I'm just being paranoid.Recently though my RTS has been getting even worse, I don't know if it's cause of the cichlids or because he really is sick. rts.jpg

2. l

luke355027355027 Well Known Member Member

Those are marks from fighting. He is probably being chased by the jack dempseys or convicts. What are the size of all these fish

Convict cichlids,jack dempseys, and red tailed sharks are very territorial fish and they all.get to.big for a 20 gallon tank. Besides growing to big they will also turn the water dirty since they will produce a lot of waste.

The best thing you can do for the shark is separate him for the other fish and give him.clean water. Also make sure the tank is cycled.

Like i said earlier a 20 gallon is too small for all of these fish

3. Gordinian

Gordinian Well Known Member Member

I agree, those look like marks from fighting. All of those fish, as said above, will outgrow a 20 gallon. The red tail shark should be in at least a 55 gallon, but I don't know the exact minimums for the others.

I would consider either rehoming the fish or getting a larger tank.

4. OP
    OP
    SonicM

SonicM New Member Member

The cichlids are about 3 inches each, and the RTS is the biggest out of all of them. I clean the tank every week and I clean the gravel too, sometimes even twice a week. They are in the tank temporarily, I do plan on getting a 50 gallon tank eventually but am in the process of getting my room redecorated so I'm holding out on it until things get settled. Are the white marks because of the fighting too?

5. Gordinian

Gordinian Well Known Member Member

Yes, the white marks are also from fighting.

The sooner you can get a bigger tank the better. If fish are in too small a tank for too long, they can get stunted.

If you want to keep all of the fish, I strongly suggest getting at least a 60 gallon. One jd needs a 55, but then when you add all the others you have, you'll need even bigger.

6. fishaddiction

fishaddiction Valued Member Member

Definetly fighting you need to remove either the convicts and Dempsey's or the rts imediatly if it gets to bad it will bring down their immune system. Which leads to ich.

7. A

AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

You need to QT the Shark immediately. Looks like he's being beat up. Daily water changes with Melafix and Pimafix.

Convicts and JD are cichlids and they are territorial aggressive fish. And being in a small tank can make it worse. They feel cramped up. You need a much larger tank with lots of hiding spots.

Welcome to Fishlore!

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  8. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello SonicM and WelcomeXmas.gif to Fish Lore.

Some great suggestions by others above. Your fish indeed appears to be pretty beat up. The sooner you can move the fish to a larger home with appropriate tank mates, the better off your fish is going to be.

Red Tail Sharks and Rainbow Sharks are cute and shy when they are little and then as they age and mature the territory issues and aggression issues will more than likely begin.

I have a Rainbow Shark in my 265g tank and it gives my Silver Dollars a fit at times. However, the Silver Dollars have room to escape being in a 7' tank. I still see nipped fins from time to time caused by the Rainbow Shark.

Too, I would suggest a Quarantine tank for the Shark now so that it can start the healing process. Keep the water as pristine as you can with readings of 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrites and under 20 Nitrates (under 40 not so bad).

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/otocinclus/34328-quick-dirty-quarantine-setup.html

https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/general-discussion/69685-how-set-up-quarantine-tank.html

Too, according to your Aquarium Profile Information you are not aware of the Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle <--link which is crucial to fish keeping. Click on the link and if you have questions, please ask. We are all here to help each other.

Another link below to the Aquarium Nitrogen Cycle:
    https://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/...96-nitrogen-cycle-newbies-friendly-guide.html

Best wishes for your tank and fish and I hope you enjoy the site.

Ken:;rudolph

9. l

personally i would try to rehome the jack dempseys. You could keep a pair of convicts and a red tailed shark in a 50 gallon with maybe another type of fish but one jack dempsey would be a lot even in a 50 gallon tank.

Petsmart and petco wont take fish back unless it is in within the return policy and they are dead.
    However i would call a fish store around you to see if they will take the fish in. Wheter they will give you money,store credit or nothing it would be best for the jack dempseys the convicts and the red tailed sharks.

10. OP
    OP
    SonicM

SonicM New Member Member

Thank you for all the great tips! For now, I'm going to move relocate my RTS to a little 10 gallon until he gets better and leave the cichlids in the 20 gallon. I'm going to PetSmart today to see about getting a bigger tank for the cichlids.

11. l

For two jack dempseys you will need a large tank. Used tank are alot cheaper than brand new tanks and.may even come with supplies

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice