Red Tail Shark Hurt?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by str8flxn, Jul 21, 2017.

1. str8flxnValued MemberMember

Good day,
    My red tail shark behaviour seems to have changed. Not coming out to eat when it's feeding time and less active.

Then I noticed the bottom of its mouth seemed swollen or damaged. Can anyone tell me what's wrong?

I attached some pics hopefully you can see what I'm talking about

30b8a32404a9e9281681d7d4f69dd465.jpg3de3c48af16cc1112e715597a319d247.jpga60e3c207f244e60108e9d72b39bd33e.jpg5c59139f6c09f150d8867c1b3d01b1af.jpg

2. MikeRad89

MikeRad89Well Known MemberMember

Definitely an injury of some sort. Looks like he got caught in something pretty badly.

Can you net him and take him out of the water to get a clearer picture of the damage? If it's so extensive that it's preventing him from eating I would honestly euthanize.

3. shiv234

shiv234Well Known MemberMember

not euthanize as yet.....see if it heals

4. kayla.s

kayla.sWell Known MemberMember

5. kayla.s

As for his injury, it puzzles me as to what could cause that and I wonder if it's not some disease perhaps... give it a week and see if it heals any, otherwise I do agree with euthanasia, instead of starvation:(

6. shiv234

shiv234Well Known MemberMember

i think the best way of euthanize a fish painlessly would be to use clove oil.

7. OP
    OP
    s

str8flxnValued MemberMember

8. OP
    OP
    s

str8flxnValued MemberMember

This pic is probably the clearest I can get..behavior is the same. Always hiding by the sponge filter.

Is euthanizing really my best and only option? :(

9. kayla.s

Do you have other sharks in the tank?

10. jakefoster

jakefosterValued MemberMember

usually an injury around the mouth is from lip-locking (fighting) with another fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice