Red Tail Shark Feeding

1. Laxin10

Laxin10 Valued Member Member

I've seen another thread talking about this but i thought i'd give it another try. What do you guys feed your RTS? Mine has spit out both flakes and pellets and never scours the bottom like most do. In fact, I have never seen him leave the middle water column, even when he goes to his favorite rock. I've had him for about 2 1/2 weeks with no success in feeding. Should I turn to brine shrimp or bloodworms? I usually only feed my fish bloodworms as a treat. Is it nutritional for a long term basis?

Thanks

2. OP
    OP
    Laxin10

Perhaps he will like algae wafers? I should also mention he refuses to try cucumbers.

3. SixThreeOh

SixThreeOh Valued Member Member

Mine isn't picky. She'll come to the top for flakes, pellets, squash, and really loves frozen shrimp. Seems to mostly eat from the top and scraps from my silver dollars.

4. Mike1995

Mike1995 Well Known Member Member

my red tail shark eats pretty much everything he can fit in his mouth. Sinking flakes, small pellets, live stuff etc. Once you get them to understand what food is, you'll never have any worries

5. OP
    OP
    Laxin10

He looks healthy enough, hasn't lost any weight or form from what I can tell. When he isn't at his rock he is always swimming around plants. Has he been living off my ferns in the meantime? I've never had a fish that's refused food for 3 weeks before lol.

6. Mike1995

That is strange! Could he possibily have a parasite?

7. Mike1995

My shark kinda did the same thing you're describing when I got him.