Red-Tail Shark Compatibility??

Richard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I have a young Red-Tail that I'm about to give a friend who has a 50gal. tank that has finished cycling..he asked me if I knew what fish are compatible with Red-Tails and I drew a blank!!..rather than Google my way to an answer,I'd prefer to hear from anyone who has firsthand experience with Red-Tails so I can steer him in the right direction for tank-mates..cheers.

Boxermom

Valued Member
Reaction score
Red tail black sharks aren't compatible with much, especially as they get older and larger. They get more and more aggressive and territorial as they grow. I speak from experience. Mine chased an SAE out of the tank and it died before we found it, and it spends most of the time in my semi-aggressive tank chasing the tiger barbs around from one side of the tank to the other. I would only recommend other semi-aggressive tankmates that aren't big enought to eat it.

Jason

Well Known Member
Reaction score
A lot of places recommend a semi aggressive community with cichlids etc. but mine is fine with my community check signature... He isnt small either i'd say over 4" at least. Doesnt annoy other fish too much, only around feeding times. Make sure that it has plenty of refuges so it can establish a territory and home etc. Mine has claimed the rock area, but other fish can go there usually. Depends on the fish I suppose.

Richard

Well Known Member
Reaction score
I was thinking Cichlids but have to wonder if that wouldn't be creating somewhat of a battlefield condition between the two species..perhaps in a tank that size it won't be so bad,oh well,Cichlids it is then..thanks y'all.

david

Valued Member
Reaction score
hi there richard   .my red tail gets along great with my clown loaches,he is always swimming with them and shares the same cave somtimes,even when there are plenty of caves and logs for him to choose from..i think my shark thinks he is a clown loach the way he plays with them all the time   ..also tigerbarbs somtimes im not sure if they are playing or fighting but none of them are hurt or injured,so i take it they are just playing..but clown loaches and red tail sharks are definatly compatable tank mates...clowns get big just like the shark though i dont think u will get to many clowns in that size tank..

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom