Red tail shark beating up my new red tail shark. Help!

1. ranmao

ranmao New Member Member

I have an aquarium with a 1 year old red tail shark named Sharkie. I decided to get a playmate for him and got another one name her Soupie. I didnt realize at that time Soupie was a bit beat up. When I took her home Sharkie decided to bully her and she is all grey now and didn't put up a fight when I tried to catch her... and her fins are even more messed up. I put her in a separate tank for now, but is there anything else I can do for her?? I hope she makes it through the night....

Sent from my SM-G900V using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. f

fishlee Valued Member Member

You should only have one per tank sorry to say

3. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Welcome to FishLore!

Yeah, this type of fish hates it's own kind. It does not enjoy playmates as it is a semi-aggressive fish.

4. OP
    OP
    ranmao

ranmao New Member Member

Darn :/ I was really hoping they would get along or at least tolerate each other... would there still be a chance if i got her to the same size as him?

Also anyway I can help her? She's not doing too well...

5. Adam55

Adam55 Well Known Member Member

Unfortunately, the RTS really does not like its own kind. He's going to keep going after her. But they do alright in community tanks that don't have other redtails in them. Mine does fine in my tank.

6. f

fishlee Valued Member Member

Their colours do fade when stressed but also some are not always jet black

7. jdhef

jdhef Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to FishLore!

Sorry you are having problems with your fish. You received good advice above about them being a one to a tank type of fish.

To nurse her back to heath I would recommend separating her into a tank with pristine water (0ppm ammonia and 0ppm nitrites with lots of water changes). I would also treat with Garlic Guard (or garlic juice form those little jars of garlic they sell at the supermarket), some Vita-Chem and also some Kardon Fish Protector.

You can soak her food in both Garlic Guard (or Garlic juice) and the Vita-Chem. Also Garlic Guard and Vita-Chem can be added directly to the tank. I've never used Fish Protector, but I believe that get added directly to the tank.

Best of luck!

8. joya

joya Valued Member Member

I have 2 red tail sharks in a 29 gallon tank. I bought them both at the same time & they're the same size. They seem like they are wrestling & fighting with each other, but not trying to hurt one another. There are no visible signs of fighting and stress. I do believe I only need one because the one that seems more aggressive doesn't swim around as much as the other. I don't think they are eating much, because every time I give them sinking wafers my cichlids eat them.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

Attached Files:

9. OP
    OP
    ranmao

ranmao New Member Member

Thank you for all the advice, sadly, my Soupie just died. ):

10. Anders247

Anders247 Fishlore Legend Member

Sorry for your loss :(

11. joya

Sorry to hear he didn't make it. I know the feeling. My angelfish was killed by my yellow lab cichlid:(

Attached Files:

12. lonestarbandit

lonestarbandit New Member Member

Sadly yes. Rts and rainbow shark hate any of either variant being around them.
    Sorry you lost one.

13. OP
    OP
    ranmao

ranmao New Member Member

This is soupie.

Attached Files:

14. joya

Nice! He look just like my bonnie & clyde. They are beautiful sharks. RIP Soupie

15. husky194

husky194 Valued Member Member

Sorry to hear you lost your Soupie - RIP
    I made the same mistake and luckily was able to re home one before there was a death.