Red Tail Shark and Gold Spot pleco (dwarf)

Neophyte

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hello,

As I am new to the whole larger fish keeping and just recently set up my tank (1.5 months ago), I just had a question about my Red Tail Shark and the little pleco guy. So as we know the red tail sharks are pretty territorial, my shark chases away any fish in my tank who tries to get it's food or even tries to swim around it's the wooden log which the shark has taken for his "home". It chases out all fish entering or swimming around the wooden log; however, the funny part is, it never bothers the little pleco guy. I've got a dwarf gold spot pleco who enters the log, eats the shark's pellets but the shark has never tried to chase him around or even nip him. why is that? I know this question is no life threatening to any fish but I am purely curious.

hampalong

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
It knows its aggression would have no effect on a heavily armoured fish that will fight back.

Btw, there's no such thing as a 'dwarf' gold spot plec. It will grow over a foot long.

Neophyte

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Hi hampalong, thanks for your answer.. I think I may be using a wrong name for my pleco then.. It's a very small pleco and I remember this one grows up to 6 inches only. I should have caught the name from it's sticker when i got this guy but I remember reading it's maximum size 6". It's black with little spots on it's body and always stuck to the glass or the log.

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Sounds like a standard bristle nose pleco. Welcome to the forum and glad you're here. Alison

Aichmalotizo

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Hi hampalong, thanks for your answer.. I think I may be using a wrong name for my pleco then.. It's a very small pleco and I remember this one grows up to 6 inches only. I should have caught the name from it's sticker when i got this guy but I remember reading it's maximum size 6". It's black with little spots on it's body and always stuck to the glass or the log.
Sticker could've flat out lied about its maximum size. You should post a picture of it, so people can tell you what you got xD. I second the Armour is what makes the rts say screw it. He probably fought once or twice, and got smacked hard when you weren't around

Neophyte

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks Alison and Aichmalotizo, haha i think that's totally possible given the way the Shark acts like a baby around that little pleco even though the pleco is so tiny. It's so surprising how these fish could be. I will definitely post a picture of my pleco as soon as I get home today, now i'm curious to know which kinda i've got. Might be the blue phantom pleco?? I'll find out from you all

tokiodreamy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
1460386697580.jpg
This was my female bristle nose pleco. She just passed last week. The males have bristles coming from their nose (hence the name). They need driftwood so make sure you have a piece for them!

Neophyte

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks tokiodreamy, this is exactly what I have too. Mine doesn't have bristles hence I wasn't sure if that's the one but now that explains that mine is a female. Sorry to hear that she passed. I have a big log of driftwood in the middle of my tank and I always see this little "girl" (correcting my previous error) either sticking to the glass or hiding under the log of wood. It looks pretty healthy and happy for now. Should I feed anything special to this kind of fish? I do use the bottom feeder pellets.

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The males don't get their bristles till they are about 3 inches long. Females either don't have any or will just have a few on their lip where the males get up to the top of their nose as ell as around the mouth. Glad you asked about feeding. I alternate between hikari mini algea wafers and hikari mini bottom feeder wafers frozen blood worms a couple times a week or even once a week. They also need fresh veggies 24/7. I feed most raw with the peel on just scrubbed with a veggie brush under running water. Then I stick a stainless steel fork in if and lay it on the bottom of the tank in the same area each day. These are some veggies to get you started. Any kind of squash, zucchini is one of the favorites, cukes, any member of the cabbage family, broccoli florets, green beans, sweet bell peppers, red is a favorite, brussel sprouts, any type of melon, apple slice, pear slice, sweet potato, white potato, dark leafy greens.seedless grapes cut in half, a strawberry, golden beets, pumpkin, . What I don't feed is Hot Peppers, Onions, tomato, citrus fruit, red beets. I only remove hard seeds like peppers, cantaloupe, apple, winter squash. Leave the veggie in for 24 hours and replace with a fresh piece. Alison

Neophyte

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks a lot Alison. Wow I am so surprised to read about all these Veggies. I had absolutely no idea that I can feed all these things to Fish!! I read earlier on this site that someone mentioned putting a piece of cucumber in the tank for the red tail shark but I was too scared to experiment that given that I didn't know fish can eat such things and because I'm a newbie, I am always scared about making a small mistake that will kill my fish. I will definitely start with a small zucchini today and see how that goes. Will the other fish that I have (Platties, 1 Molly, (5)serpae tetras, (4)cories and (1)gourami) eat these veggies too? The tetras seem to be always hungry and they tend to steal everything i put in the tank. they also try to grab that bottom feeder pellet that I put but it's too big for their mouth so they give up eventually. (fish are really funny to watch some times).

But thank you for providing with this beneficial information. I am excited to go home and add a piece of veggie in there. I will let you know how it goes..

hampalong

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The veg will only cause a problem of you leave it in to rot, and go soft and gooey and break up and get all over the tank. As long as you take it out before this, or if it's obvious the fish have finished with it....

The shark will probably enjoy it too, and the Molly, which should also have some veg based foods.

tokiodreamy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Like aliray stated, they do have to grow a bit for the bristles to show. That photo was when I first got her. I could never get a good photo since then because she'd run and hide under her cave. Mine liked cucumber! I blanched my veggies. My platys also nibble at the cucumbers. I was soon going to try zucchini since I heard they also love it. I fed mine bottom feeder pellets, veggies, and algae wafers. I also fed in the morning and at night since she was more of a nocturnal eater. I also "trained" her to find her food by the heater. This way my other fish didn't eat it.

Neophyte

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
Thanks tokiodreamy and hampalong. I'm gonna try putting a piece of veggie in today; and yeap i'll definitely remove it if i still see it lingering around in the tank tomorrow and put a fresh piece. I understand it might take a couple days for them to get acquainted with the new veggie food and start eating it.
Trained her to get to the food seems very interesting, i'm gonna try doing that.. I'm just a beginner at this so every day seems like a learning curve, but i'm glad I get to know all these fun/cool things here. I'll keep y'all posted on how things go and if my pleco decides to become visible tonight, i'll click a picture to post it here as well. It's really little.

hampalong

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Just don't take it out too soon. Different fish like it at different stages. Some wait till it has started to soften a bit...

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Let me know how you make out. You can also put a slit in the side of the veggie and stick an algea wafer in it so some is inside and some on the outside as he eats the wafer he starts to get some veggie and that will get some reluctant plecs to try their veggies. Once they get used to veggies they are like kids in a candy store and are all over it. Alison

Neophyte

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
That's a better picture of my pleco!!

Last edited by a moderator:

aliray

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Looks like a young BN pleco, You will have to think up a name for him or her. Alison

tokiodreamy

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Baby bristlenose!! I'm thinking of getting another one since mine passed. They're really neat and when they glide through the water they look like sharks. If you want to "train" her, keep putting her/his food in the same place. Eventually she will hear you lift the lid and swim to that area before food is even there

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom