Red tail/rainbow sharks with my children!?

Doomheadthebetta

Reaction score
So I got a 65 gallon and right now I have 1 angel, 1 clown pleco, 3 lamb chop rasboras, 3 Harlequin rasboras and 2 nerites. I wanna add the rasboras in each of my betta tanks. I also want to get bronze corydoras and 3 more angels. Even though it's my tank I want to get at least 1 fish for my sister since her birthday is in like 4 months. But she's in love with red tail/rainbow sharks.(idk the difference) Will it be ok to add one with my clown and Cory's?

juniperlea

Well Known
Reaction score
I wouldn't add either the red tail or the rainbow. Very pretty fish though.

OP
Doomheadthebetta

Doomheadthebetta

Reaction score
juniperlea said:
I wouldn't add either the red tail or the rainbow. Very pretty fish though.
They are that's why she likes them. Is there a reason why I shouldn't put one in?

H Farnsworth

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
I have two in my 55 with many other fish. If you get a small one it could grow to be comfortable in your tank. I say go for it if it’s a juvenile. Just 1 though. 1

OP
Doomheadthebetta

Doomheadthebetta

Reaction score
H Farnsworth said:
If that’s the full stock I say go for it as long as it’s a baby rainbow shark
Yea she will want a baby lol

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Both Sharks are superb fish. I never had an ill one but they tend to dominate a tank.

A single Angel is far less hassle than multiples too.

Hope it goes well, there's a good chance I think.

OP
Doomheadthebetta

Doomheadthebetta

Reaction score
Redshark1 said:
Both Sharks are superb fish. I never had an ill one but they tend to dominate a tank.

A single Angel is far less hassle than multiples too.

Hope it goes well, there's a good chance I think.
I hope so I want my sister to love fish as much as I do. It's going to be a birthday present for her :3

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'd be more inclined to go with a rainbow shark versus a red tail. Red tails in my experience are a bit more aggressive and they aren't out swimming as often.

If you really want another angel honestly I don't see an issue with a single pair in that size tank, especially with how lightly stocked it is. They may chase off other fish but its a big enough tank you should be fine. Now I wouldn't add THREE more by any means but adding one more about the same size as your current I don't think would be an issue.

What size tank are you planning to move the rasboras to? I think they'll be pretty in this larger tank and you could even up the school! You should be perfectly fine with the cories as well!

OP
Doomheadthebetta

Doomheadthebetta

Reaction score
e_watson09 said:
I'd be more inclined to go with a rainbow shark versus a red tail. Red tails in my experience are a bit more aggressive and they aren't out swimming as often.

If you really want another angel honestly I don't see an issue with a single pair in that size tank, especially with how lightly stocked it is. They may chase off other fish but its a big enough tank you should be fine. Now I wouldn't add THREE more by any means but adding one more about the same size as your current I don't think would be an issue.

What size tank are you planning to move the rasboras to? I think they'll be pretty in this larger tank and you could even up the school! You should be perfectly fine with the cories as well!
Ya Idk which one she likes. I'm hoping it's the rainbow. I might try another angel hoping they'll pair or at least become friends. Two 10 gallons with bettas. I actually didn't want the lamb chops so might actually just get rid of them and buy some more Harlequins and put them in the 65. Yay I really want Cory's specifically bronze or maybe emeralds.

e_watson09

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Doomheadthebetta said:
Ya Idk which one she likes. I'm hoping it's the rainbow. I might try another angel hoping they'll pair or at least become friends. Two 10 gallons with bettas. I actually didn't want the lamb chops so might actually just get rid of them and buy some more Harlequins and put them in the 65. Yay I really want Cory's specifically bronze or maybe emeralds.
Oh yeah then I wouldn't move the rasboras, 10 gallon is too small for them with a betta.

OP
Doomheadthebetta

Doomheadthebetta

Reaction score
e_watson09 said:
Oh yeah then I wouldn't move the rasboras, 10 gallon is too small for them with a betta.
Oh ok well I'll just do what I said. I might not get anymore fish for the bettas and just add shrimp and snails hoping they won't get eaten ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Redshark1

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I've kept two Red-tailed Black Sharks and one Rainbow Shark.

Both my RTBS were more active.

My Rainbow Shark was more aggressive.

All three were superb but the RTBS is the better fish.

If you have a pair of Angels then you have trouble as when breeding they will defend a territory which may be the whole tank.

In my opinion there is no harm in keeping a single Angel it can have a great life in the right aquarium.

OP
Doomheadthebetta

Doomheadthebetta

Reaction score
Redshark1 said:
I've kept two Red-tailed Black Sharks and one Rainbow Shark.

Both my RTBS were more active.

My Rainbow Shark was more aggressive.

All three were superb but the RTBS is the better fish.

If you have a pair of Angels then you have trouble as when breeding they will defend a territory which may be the whole tank.

In my opinion there is no harm in keeping a single Angel it can have a great life in the right aquarium.
I might try to add another angel just to see if they'll get along if not I'll return the new angel. And my sister still thinks they look the same so I ended up picking the rainbow just because everyone seems to say that they're friendlier. But I haven't even set the tank up yet! So I'm excited for that!

Dunk2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I’ve got 2 Angels in a 75 gallon with this guy. It often depends on the personality of individual fish, but mine get along just fine.

927C5962-55A3-4404-91D4-840209B9FDFA.jpeg

OP
Doomheadthebetta

Doomheadthebetta

Reaction score
Dunk2 said:
I’ve got 2 Angels in a 75 gallon with this guy. It often depends on the personality of individual fish, but mine get along just fine.

927C5962-55A3-4404-91D4-840209B9FDFA.jpeg
Aww he's so cute :3
Mine is only a 65 gallon though.

New Threads