red tail compatability Question

1. wilkinson7133 Initiate Member

Are red tails compatible with angel fish? i know different fish have different personalities so i would like as much personal experience as possible, eg some say dont keep them with barbs mine is with 3. Any feedback much appreciated

2. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

welcome to fishlore!!!

it depends on the size of the tank...40g or more and yes they will be fine...

3. wilkinson7133 Initiate Member

cheers shawnie what do you mean 40g? one of my two angels is quite viscous they chase each other but i kept a beta splenden with them and it got shredded luckily i got to him in time.

4. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

what i mean is angels and rts can co exist if the tank is 40g or larger..give the shark allot of caves and hiding spots to call his own..if you have other bottom dwellers, the tank size will change......bettas dont play well with anyone..they like a playground of their own ...

5. wilkinson7133 Initiate Member

did you use 40G as in 40 gallon? i found my betta to get on with congo tetras

6. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

40g is 40gallons yes..sorry ....im glad you betta gets along with others..but beware, that can and probably will change as they are not community fish by nature

7. AlyeskaGirl Fishlore VIP Member

Hello & Welcome to Fishlore!

with my experience with my RTS, he gets along with my Angelfish, He occupies middle to bottom part of the tank, he cruises the whole tank. Best to be added last because they get terrortial especially with fish smaller then them. I had to move my Dwarf Gourmai to my 20 gallon tank because my RTS started to chase him all over the tank and my DG was in the tank first. So it all depends. Like what Shawnie said, having other bottom dwellers, especially smaller he may chase. I added 5 Giant Danios to my tank about a week ago, they mostly occupy the top, he totally ignores them, plus they are fast if he decides too......lol.......and they don't come down to his turf. Good luck!

8. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

RTS are territorial and the generaly rules for tankmates for them are as follows:
    1) Too big to bother (ex. Clown Loach and Oscars)
    2) Too mean to mess with (ex. Convict Cichlids)
    3) Too fast to catch (ex. rainbows)

I've never kept Angels and so am not very familiar with they're personality.
    Also since RTS are more concerned with the ground area of a tank than the height, if you give them a big area to patrol (anything larger then three feet long) and break up lines of sight as much as possible (plants, driftwood and decorations are great) since it's hard to chase what you can't see.

Best of luck,
    Red

9. wilkinson7133 Initiate Member

hi all thanks for the feedback shawnie said 150L/40G what about 90L/24G what do you think? are peppered catfish too smaller companions?

10. Shawnie Fishlore Legend Member

a 90L isnt big enough for a shark IMO unless you keep him alone ...and its definately not big enough for him to play nice with other bottom dwellers like cories :( sorry

11. wilkinson7133 Initiate Member

aah, surely he would be better in a 90L then a 40? i see loads of aquatic shops keeping them with other species in 40L aquariums

12. Red1313 Fishlore VIP Member

The 40 we're referring to is 40 Gallons not Liters.
    90L= 23.78 Gallons.

13. wilkinson7133 Initiate Member

yeh i no i got that cheers

14. Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Hello. :animal0068: I have moved your thread to the "red tail shark" section of the forum.
    Thanks!
    Ken

15. wilkinson7133 Initiate Member

cheers ken, iv put my red tail with my angel fish and he's settled in fine, no problems so fingers crossed

16. Smack Initiate Member

Good for you. My RTS was in a community tank (55gallon) w/Danios (6") and three Afr. dwarf frogs. Some neon tetras and large black skirts. For about a year everyone got along. All fish were fed twice daily, mix of bloodworms, brine shrimp and flakes. Then one day I had to work late and were fed only once that day....well, Mr RTS changed moods and became, "Instant A-Hole" and took his aggression out on everything.

I've moved him to an other 55 gallon w/2 Jack Dempseys and they've gained mutual respect as RTS quickly figured out that the JD wouldn't take any crud.