Red tail attacking other fish

1. fishlurer22

fishlurer22 New Member Member

My red tailed shark has started going after my tiger barbs what should i do???

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Fish Lore Aquarium Fish Forum mobile app

2. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Welcome to Fishlore :)
    I'd rehome him, red tail sharks are territorial & can get aggressive as they get bigger & need quite a bit of space, tiger barbs imo are best kept in a species only tank, how many do you have & how big is the tank, any other tankmates?

3. OP
    OP
    fishlurer22

I have a 30 gallon tank and i have 4 barbs and a pleco

4. OP
    OP
    fishlurer22

I also have a 10 gallon with two balloon molleys should i put him and that tank and put the mollys in the 30 gallon with the barbs

5. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

The shark really needs a 50+ gallon tank imo & they really don't make good community fish in smaller tanks because of their territorial nature & size.
    If you rehomed him you could have some more barbs, they look lovely in larger shoals, what pleco do you have?

6. S

Stu4648 Valued Member Member

You need a new tank, I was in the exact same position 2.5 years ago. My Red Tail chased one of my Tiger Barbs relentlessly. The barb, although it survived, was severely setback and remained stunted compared to the others. It would have died had I not put the Red Tail in a new tank. On the plus side, if you have the room and the money it gives you an excuse to get another aquarium, at least 50 gallons, bigger if you can. My Red Tail still tries to harass the fish in the bigger tank, the difference is, the fish she is in with now just ignore her.

As Coradee said, the Red Tail will claim a territory, which in the case of a 30 gallon is the whole tank and they will chase anything they can spook. If the other fish holds its ground the Red Tail will do a threat display where it will hold its fins erect and sway from side to side, even bumping the other fish to try and intimidate it. If the other fish does not react the Red Tail will eventually lose interest but if the other fish tries to swim away the Red Tail will pursue it, they love chasing other fish. Unfortunately, this well stress the other fish out and eventually stress it to death. Don't get me wrong I love my Red Tail; Red (not the most original of names) and would never get rid of her but she can sometimes be a proper pain in the backside.