red streaks on fins

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Oso, Dec 18, 2012.

1. Oso

Oso Well Known Member Member

Today I noticed Orca has red streaks on his fins. It also looks like he ripped a little part of his fin. I checked the other goldfish and they don't have red streaks. What causes red streaks? Is this something to worry about? I will get a video up in just a bit.

2. Tigress Hill

Tigress Hill Well Known Member Member

What are your current readings? Red streaks are usually a sign of ammonia present in the water.

3. OP
    OP
    Oso

ammonia 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 80 definitely high on the nitrate doing a water change now

4. OP
    OP
    Oso

[video=youtube;LgVAptWNYoQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LgVAptWNYoQ&feature=youtu.be[/video]

here is the video

5. Aquarist

Aquarist Fishlore Legend Member

Good morning,

Red Streaks on fish fins can be a sign of Hemorrhagic Septicemia caused by increased Ammonia levels and or poor water conditions.

However, since no other fish are showing the same symptoms and you have a reading of 0 Ammonia, the color difference you are seeing may be a normal color change.

Double check your Ammonia readings to be on the safe side. A water change wouldn't hurt. :)

Best wishes for your fish.

Ken

6. baggy007

baggy007 Well Known Member Member

hi oso

i think it might be a color change as the streaks dont seem to run from the body of the fish but ken is spot on, a water change never hurts

7. OP
    OP
    Oso

I checked the ammonia again and it still reads 0. I am wondering if it is color change because recently Oso has gotten a little orange spot on one of his fins. Its really cute :p

8. baggy007

if your ammonia is 0 and the fish shows no signs of stress i.e. no flashing,clamped fins or sitting on the bottom and no other fish seem to be effected its very possible a color change but can i ask how often you do w/c as 80 nitrate is on the high side

9. OP
    OP
    Oso

usually I do a 90% water change every Friday, but I missed it this week because of exams and all. It was a busy and stressful week.

10. baggy007

and on top of all that stressing about your fish but it may be nothing but a new look for your fish, like a woman putting a bit of make up on:p

11. OP
    OP
    Oso

lol I'm fine with that :p just as long as there is nothing wrong with him. Pesca I'm not so sure about though I accidentally dropped him and he is swimming a little wobbly and his eye looks swollen

12. J

Jane New Member Member

Hi there,

I am very new to this forum, and have a fantail goldfish that is showing signs of red streaking in its tail also. However, the most disturbing symptom this fish is showing is at the base of its tail where its body has gone bright red, scales raised and blisters have formed. These symptoms appeared overnight. The fish seems not affected by it, it is swimming fine and still eating.

I did a water quality test the prevoius day checking nitrite, ammonia and Ph, results as follows:
    Nitrite: 0ppm
    Ammonia: b/w 0- 0.25ppm
    Ph: 7.2

I am water changing frequently recently as I am setting a new tank up and using cycled water from original tank.

The goldfish lives in a 120 L tank with 3 other goldfish. One other is showing red patches on its tail, but not the horrific looking angry red at the base of the tail.

I have isolated the fish and treated both tanks with triple sulfur and salt. This morning I changed water and medication to a broad sprectrum medication that treats white spot, fungal diseases and fin and tail rot. Not sure if I should have stuck with triple sulfur tho.

Currently I am not sure what this fish has, or if I am treating it with the right product, any help or advice anyone can give would be greatly appreciated. I am beginning to think may Septicemia, but the fish symptoms are not matching exactly

Is my water quality that bad? I thought it was ok, fish seem happy and I use Ammolock at water changes as well as conditioner

13. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

Do you use a freshwater test kit like API or strips?? Do the scales look something like a pine cone?

It's quite possible that your fish could have ammonia poisoning if your reading 0.25 PPM. Your local fish store should have the meds. I read the instructions throughly. If you do use meds it's a good idea to remove the filter.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice