Red Streaks and Bumps on Goldfish's Tail

Melody

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
A few months ago I found two small white bumps on the tail of my goldfish. I thought they might be ich so I tried raising the temperature of the water. When that didn't work, I used Quick Cure for three days and the bumps went away. A week or two later they were back, and Quick Cure didn't help - neither did Jungle's Fungus Clear. I recently went back to Quick Cure for a week straight (with water changes), but my fish isn't getting better. I'm not even sure he has ich. The tips of his tail fins look like they were dipped in white paint, and the two bumps are still present. Also, today I noticed a few thin red streaks on his tail. One short segment almost looked like it was bleeding.

He's been spending an unusual amount of time above his bubble stone today, but he still has a healthy appetite. When I tested the water a few days ago, everything was within normal limits.

I have Melafix - should I try that? Or should I try something like Maracyn?
Thanks to anyone with any sugestions.

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
HI Melody, what are the readings for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates?
Let's see if we can rule out problems with the water before medicating.

Melody

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
When I checked a few days ago they read:
Ammonia: 0
Nitrites: 0
Nitrates: 5

Lucy

Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
My guess would have been ammonia poisoning but your readings look fine.
I'm sure Gremlin or someone who knows more about goldies will see this thread and comment.

Good luck!

Melody

Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you, Lucy.

He was exposed to ammonia by his previous owners and by me before I knew what I was doing, and he still hangs at the top of the tank a little everyday - but I don't think ammonia would cause the bumps and streaks. It might explain him hanging around the bubbles, though. I'll test again tomorrow.

Toggle Sidebar

New Threads