Red spots

fishtrooper

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
My tank within the last 6 months maybe is getting red spots on the glass of the tank that do not want to come off. The only thing I can think of it being is the fish flakes, but I have never had this happen before. Could it be anything else? What can I do to get it off?

SilverLake

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
fishtrooper said:
My tank within the last 6 months maybe is getting red spots on the glass of the tank that do not want to come off. The only thing I can think of it being is the fish flakes, but I have never had this happen before. Could it be anything else? What can I do to get it off?
Unless it's very high right above the water line, I doubt it's fish flakes, and they usually come off with a fingernail. If it's underwater. It's more likely to be red algae, without pictures it's harder to say. If I remember correctly red algae is a rather stubborn bugger to get rid of.

OP
fishtrooper

fishtrooper

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
SilverLake said:
Unless it's very high right above the water line, I doubt it's fish flakes, and they usually come off with a fingernail. If it's underwater. It's more likely to be red algae, without pictures it's harder to say. If I remember correctly red algae is a rather stubborn bugger to get rid of.
I have never heard of red Algae. Thanks for the input. Is red algae bad for fish?

SilverLake

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
fishtrooper said:
I have never heard of red Algae. Thanks for the input. Is red algae bad for fish?
If it's algae, no, it shouldn't harm the fish, but it should still be removed.
Out of curiosity, where is it on the glass in regards to the rest of the tank?

OP
fishtrooper

fishtrooper

Reaction score
Experience
1 year
It started on the bottom near the gravel and now it’s all over. I have tried to scrub it off but it’s really hard.

New Threads