Red spots on gold barb

Blacksheep1

Hi everyone , I feel like I’m having nothing but trouble with this new tank ! Can anyone help me identify these spots on my gold barb please ? My weekly water change was over due as I’d have covid , they seemed fine yesterday , did a water change ( 40% ) and this has appeared today , seems to be two red spots on the belly of this fish but all others seem fine !
Thankyou in advance for any insights !

Attachments

• B05ECA67-28D6-4C93-BA76-39FC1E4F1509.jpeg
    B05ECA67-28D6-4C93-BA76-39FC1E4F1509.jpeg
    180.3 KB · Views: 14
  • 45002A25-2FE9-4EDD-80DF-4DCDB737A632.jpeg
    45002A25-2FE9-4EDD-80DF-4DCDB737A632.jpeg
    151.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 2CA5E702-F644-4545-A695-5AE4B8FC4E7B.jpeg
    2CA5E702-F644-4545-A695-5AE4B8FC4E7B.jpeg
    99 KB · Views: 14

A201

Red spots on a fish can indicate a few problems.
Septicemia is an internal infection
that causes bleeding. It can be either bacterial or parasitic in nature. Very difficult to cure & is often fatal.
Exposure to elevated ammonia levels can cause red or black blotches on fish.
Finally, the red spots could simply be abrasions.
If the Barb is still eating and otherwise acting normally, probably nothing to worry about.

Blacksheep1

Red spots on a fish can indicate a few problems.
Septicemia is an internal infection
that causes bleeding. It can be either bacterial or parasitic in nature. Very difficult to cure & is often fatal.
Exposure to elevated ammonia levels can cause red or black blotches on fish.
Finally, the red spots could simply be abrasions.
If the Barb is still eating and otherwise acting normally, probably nothing to worry about.
Thankyou. Recently cycled tank ( bought new tank and fish were in a bucket overnight , they jet washed the tank too ) so was hastily set up with my tank seeding the new one . But after bi- weekly changes or more ( 12 weeks later ) the tank seems to of fully cycled. Septicaemia seems unlikely so far…. Possible ammonia levels after being poorly but tested after wc and was at 0. I’m leaning towards bacterial as I’ve just spotted another small red patch on another barb. Should I add salt ?

A201

The addition of salt can promote a healthy slime coat, which might assist the Barb in healing.

Blacksheep1

The addition of salt can promote a healthy slime coat, which might assist the Barb in healing.
I don’t have aquatic salt , I have pink himalyan salt and normal sea salt, are these any good or should I go and get aquatic ? I’m just confused as to what’s caused this issue as I had a Cory recently stuck in a rock and he is perfectly healthy now , his fins have regrown lovely and his head scrapes have healed , I’d assume if my water was rubbish he wouldn’t of healed so fast ? Would he ? I seem to having issues with just the barbs , is there something they are adverse to or affects them more I wonder ? Again thanks for your reply :)

A201

I think aquarium salt is evaporated sea salt.
Gold Barbs do well in my local hard water w/ an 8.2 PH. They are often sold at my local fish store. Pretty sure Gold Barbs are very adaptable.
As noted, if they continue to eat things will likely be okay.
All you can really do is keep up on the weekly water changes & try the sea salt.

Blacksheep1

I think aquarium salt is evaporated sea salt.
Gold Barbs do well in my local hard water w/ an 8.2 PH. They are often sold at my local fish store. Pretty sure Gold Barbs are very adaptable.
As noted, if they continue to eat things will likely be okay.
All you can really do is keep up on the weekly water changes & try the sea salt.
Thankyou , fingers crossed I guess . I’ll just hope and see .

Similar Aquarium Threads

Replies
Views
sydrc
Replies
Views
A201
Replies
Views
egbertoselerio
Replies
Views