Red Spots On Blood Parrot?

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Ed204, Apr 12, 2017.

1. Ed204

Ed204 Well Known Member Member

Hi Everyone,
    I've noticed that since I've got this Blood Parrot it has not displayed any black spots. When it gets stressed it just becomes pale like other cichlids.

Also, I've noticed red spots on his skin I thought that it was lice but I don't think so. None of the other fish in the tank have red marks.
    The parameters are 0,0 and 10ppm.
    Is my Blood Parrot dyed or is he just a hybrid of other fish species?

Thanks In Advance.
    @chromedome52 @NavigatorBlack @CindiL @Anders247

Attached Files:

2. OP
    OP
    Ed204

@Coradee I accidentally posed 2 threads do you mind merging them?
    Thanks

3. Coradee

Coradee Moderator Moderator Member

Threads merged :)

4. CindiL

CindiL Fishlore Legend Member

I can't help you with blood parrots as far as whats normal for them but @tyguy7760 can.

5. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

Blood parrots don't have to have black marks. Black marks can be stress related or a very young parrot still developing his color...but it's rarely an issue to worry about.

As for the red spots I can't really tell from the pic as it's pretty blurry. It could be just pigmentation. Have you noticed your parrot scraping against the decor or "flashing" at all? Any symptoms of irritation? What else is in the tank?

6. OP
    OP
    Ed204

Thanks
    No worries, that's fine.
    He's in a tank with 1 other blood Parrot, 1 gold Sev, 1 FM cichlid, 5 Silver Dollars, 3 YoYo Loaches and 1 Synodontis Eupterus . However, he is now alone in a 20 gallon for the moment. I'll upload a clearer pic shortly.

So far I've not seen any signs of scratching or irritation. However, over the hours he has regained his orange coloration. He just turns pale for a few minutes and the next thing you know it he's back to normal.

I hope you can see the new pictures I took, he's actually quite friendly and does not mind if I take pictures of him.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 12, 2017
  7. tyguy7760

tyguy7760 Fishlore VIP Member

what size tank were you keeping him in with all those other cichlids? I honestly don't see any issues with him from the pics. Maybe chrome or navigator will weigh in soon.

8. OP
    OP
    Ed204

He was in a 135 gallon. All the fish are about 5 inches max.
    @chromedome52 @NavigatorBlack do you guys have any ideas?
    Thanks by the way @tyguy7760 , I really do appreciate it. :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice