Red spot on ram

Bonkers

Should I worry?
my first thought was parasites but that word gets thrown around so much I’m obviously going to think that first.

I bought two rams from a well known LFS. Medium-small in size. Once home I noticed they both have red spots where the poop comes out. They didn’t get this in my tank, they came with it. I have a UV steriliser and two filters so my waters pretty clean. Does this mean they have brought something into my tank? (40+) fish in there.

I gave one of the rams away. Here’s some pics of the one I kept. You can make out the red spot. It looks more prominent in person.

Attachments

feeshi

Hey, this looks like a prolapse to me which can be caused by a number of things, including internal bacterial infection from previous quality, poor pregnancy or worms.
If its water quality/bacteria it will clear up on its own in good clean water.
If its worms it is fairly easy to treat without harming other fish, I have never had a fish die from worm treatment. Praziquantel or Flubendazole should be the main ingredient and are highly tolerable for fish. Vetark (Praziquantel) makes a great one for the UK, its a powder and lasts for years.
Best of luck :)

Bonkers

feeshi said:
Hey, this looks like a prolapse to me which can be caused by a number of things, including internal bacterial infection from previous quality, poor pregnancy or worms.
If its water quality/bacteria it will clear up on its own in good clean water.
If its worms it is fairly easy to treat without harming other fish, I have never had a fish die from worm treatment. Praziquantel or Flubendazole should be the main ingredient and are highly tolerable for fish. Vetark (Praziquantel) makes a great one for the UK, its a powder and lasts for years.
Best of luck :)
Thanks. She’s just laid eggs so the tube has come out and starting to retract back in. I think it’s the tube that’s red so poor pregnancy?

feeshi

Bonkers said:
Thanks. She’s just laid eggs so the tube has come out and starting to retract back in. I think it’s the tube that’s red so poor pregnancy?
Ah this sounds very likely if she's just laid eggs, it may have prolapsed a little while she was straining. I've only experienced it in catfish after a large batch of eggs but it doesn't last too long.
It doesn't look super red as if its infected, and she has good colouration and posture so her immune system is likely good.
It should go away on its own with continued good water conditions. As blue rams are fragile an extra water change this week won't go amiss to keep total waste levels(the stuff we cant measure) down and any neutral bacteria that may take advantage of this open area.
Your tank looks well maintained, so I am not too worried.:)

Top Bottom