Red spot on plecos fin

bizaliz3

Help! Blue eyes just developed this red spot on his fin. What is it? Is it a disease or could it be a wound? Do I need to worry about the other fish in his tank?

He's about 4 years old. Zero ammonia 0 nitrite and 40 nitrate

Attachments

Beeker

It is probably just an irritation. My goldies get those every once in a while. Maybe he bumped something. Just keep the water as perfect as possible and keep an eye on him. Really, it's probably nothing.

bizaliz3

Beeker said:
It is probably just an irritation. My goldies get those every once in a while. Maybe he bumped something. Just keep the water as perfect as possible and keep an eye on him. Really, it's probably nothing.
That is what I was hoping to hear! It does appear to be a wound or irritation of some kind.....but I am so unfamiliar with so many fish illnesses so I wanted to make sure it wasn't something I need to treat....or something that might affect the other fish in the tank!!

I hope you are right! I was contemplating moving him last night because I don't want to jeopardize the health of the other fish in the tank. But that would just stress him out unnecessarily if he isn't sick.......And he is a very special fish to me!! I currently do weekly water changes, but I will do twice a week to try and help him heal as fast as possible. The good news is it doesn't appear to be affecting his behavior any. The rest of his body and fins are perfect.....I hope he isn't in pain :-(

Beeker

I'm sure he's not.
It is probably equal to you getting a bruise on your leg and not even knowing how you got it.

bizaliz3

Beeker said:
It is probably equal to you getting a bruise on your leg and not even knowing how you got it.
HA HA and that DOES happen to me a lot! lol

Thanks for your replies. I was getting a little anxious waiting for a response from last night! I just really wanted to know if it was an illness or not!!

I bet if he was a brown BN pleco I wouldn't have even noticed it! I hope it goes away quickly.

aliray

Are there any sharp areas inside his castle that he could have scratched himself or bumped himself on? Alison

bizaliz3

aliray said:
Are there any sharp areas inside his castle that he could have scratched himself or bumped himself on? Alison
Not really....other than the corners on the outside.....the inside is all rounded edges....

Hopefully it is a fluke and it will go away and not happen again!

bizaliz3

Good news....the red spot on the fin is gone. So it only lasted a couple days. I don't know how it happened, but I am glad it wasn't an illness that could harm him or his tankmates. PHEW!

aliray

That's a relief, glad he's better. probably was just a bruise. Alison

Beeker

It will probably not be the last time. At least now you know it isn't something to worry much about.

Top Bottom