Red Spot On New Cory

Racing1113

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh good, glad you have that. I'd stop doing the melafix and if you have the time I'd do a water change before adding in the JFC.

I think once he feels better, he'll start eating again but you could soak a few pellets in garlic juice and drop them down and see if he comes to get them. Garlic juice often will get them to eat.
Ok so I just did a large water change and added the fungus clear. Probably a dumb question - I've been doing large water changes every day since the tank is so small but now with the fungus clear I shouldn't do a water change for 4 days, correct? And since it's almost 10 pm on Thursday, would the 4th day be Monday or Tuesday? I'm assuming the hospital tank is cycling right now which I'm sure isn't helping things with him - I put a piece of filter foam in my main tank filter so I could instantly cycle a hospital tank but then the next day was the day he got sick.

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
In that small of tank I would probably change out 50% at least every other day. I'd mix up some water with the JFC and set it aside to use for your water changes so your replacing the same amount.

Your other option is just to move him back to the main tank and treat them all at the same time.

The fourth day would be Monday night or Tuesday morning would be fine.

DoubleDutch

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
The Cory doesn't look well overall (ragged dorsal, tail + quite thin). Did you get it in this way. Think it is an aeneus ?
It looks to have been underfed / got the wrong diet.
Do you have a pic of the other one?

Racing1113

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
The Cory doesn't look well overall (ragged dorsal, tail + quite thin). Did you get it in this way. Think it is an aeneus ?
It looks to have been underfed / got the wrong diet.
Do you have a pic of the other one?
I did get it this way. I got them both on Sunday and Monday was when I noticed the spot and put him in the quarantine tank. I got them both from petco who I've had terrible luck with their stock but I really wanted some emeralds to add to my other cories. Ugh, lesson learned, I'm just going to stop buying from there. The other emerald is much bigger and swimming with my other cories.

I tried to get a good picture but he was moving all over since I just gave them some wafers. I can try to get a better picture of you need me to.

26215805cc39b1eb18719fd9f417874d.jpg

f1edae3b61fdb4a9cbd1f223c7b03a0d.jpg

Racing1113

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I've been looking all day for the other one and I can't find him anywhere lol. I guess I could medicate the whole tank? Do you know if the fungus clear is safe for shrimps and snails?

Racing1113

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Well, I still can't find the cory in the main tank, I even picked up most of the decor when cleaning yesterday, so not really sure what to do about him

Is it possible for the other cories to have eaten him? I took out all the decorations and looked inside them and he's nowhere to be found

AllieSten

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Did you look in your filter?

It maybe that your fish died and the other fish ate him. It does happen.

Racing1113

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I can definitely look in the filter but I'm pretty sure the gaps are too small - I have a Marineland Penguin and even some wafer chunks get caught in the intake if they're too big. It's so crazy if they ate him - I saw him Thursday night and Friday was when I noticed him missing. I had no idea fish would eat each other lol

I must be losing my mind lol the other green cory finally came out of wherever his hiding spot was. Both cories are now in the quarantine tank. The first sick cory still isn't eating or swimming but hopefully he'll improve soon

Racing1113

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
UPDATE: both cories are in the qt tank. I've seen the bigger one eating and swimming a lot. The smaller/sicker one is swimming around a little with the other one but still hides in corners and I haven't seen him eat. I believe the red spot is gone but I'm going to try to get a closer look today. How much longer would you suggest I keep them in the qt tank? Oh and I'm still using the jungle fungus clear.

AllieSten

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I would keep them in the qt for 2 weeks. Just to be sure they are better before adding back to the big tank. Glad you are seeing an improvement. That is good news!

Racing1113

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Yes, thank you, I'm so glad they're doing better, especially the little one! So should I keep them in qt for 2 weeks from today, or 2 weeks from when they were first put in qt? And should I keep using the jungle fungus clear? Also, regarding the little one eating, I'm totally stressing out that I haven't seen him eat this whole time. Should I just figure he must be getting something when I'm not looking and let him be, or should I try something else (I've been trying soaking food in garlic juice)?

AllieSten

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Try feeding a blanched deshelled pea soaked in garlic juice. See if he goes for it. Does he appear bloated at all?

I would say 2 weeks from when you stop the JFC. How many rounds have you done so far?

Racing1113

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
No, not bloated, the opposite in fact. Still very skinny. Definitely much less active than the bigger one, although much more active than he was when he was by himself.

I started him on the JFC on Thursday last week. So I guess technically he's on his "second" dose but because there's two of them in a 1.5 gallon tank I've been doing water changes every day and refilling the tank with some water I keep mixed up with JFC. I believe @CindiL was the one who suggested doing it that way.

AllieSten

Fishlore VIP
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I haven't seen @CindiL in days. I think she is on vacation. I know @KimberlyG is for sure.

Have you tried feeding any frozen foods? Sometimes frozen brine shrimp can entice them to eat. It is smelly enough that they will usually seek out every morsel of it. It is worth a try anyways.

Racing1113

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I haven't but I'll definitely try it! I have some frozen brine shrimp in my freezer for my frogs. How much longer would you suggest for the JFC? The little guy definitely seems improved as far as energy but his fins still seem kinda tattered/frayed. I can try to get a picture of the two of them if that would help.

Racing1113

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I haven't but I'll definitely try it! I have some frozen brine shrimp in my freezer for my frogs. How much longer would you suggest for the JFC? The little guy definitely seems improved as far as energy but his fins still seem kinda tattered/frayed. I can try to get a picture of the two of them if that would help.
@AllieSten thank you so much for your advice! I tried the brine shrimp tonight and I FINALLY saw the little guy eat!! He definitely enjoyed it!

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom