Red Spot On New Cory

Racing1113

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I got 2 new emerald green cory's last night and they both looked healthy at the store and when I got home. Today I noticed one of them has a red spot just behind one of its gills. Any idea what this could be?

e83ebaa758b33c849838fc55898d5428.jpg

Racing1113

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So it doesn't look like an infection or anything like that?

Caitlin86

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
What r ur parameters? If ur cory did injure itself u will wanna keep pristine water quality which will help prevent infection.

29balarangst

Reaction score
Experience
2 years
I had a similar but far bigger red wound on an albino cory a couple of months back. I pretty quickly deduced that it had gotten tangled up on a piece of fishing line in the tank and hurt itself getting free. I had my air curtain weighed down with a few sinkers tied on with fishing line - obviously I removed the fishing line and sinkers when the danger made itself apparent. Anyway, I did a water change of about 75% and then a 50% water change every day for about a week and a half so that it would have the most pure water possible while it healed. Nothing seemed to be improving for nearly a week but then it all but disappeared really quickly over the next half week. I'm sure if you do daily water changes until it's healed you'll have no problems. Good luck.

Racing1113

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
So no improvement so far He was acting super lethargic in the main tank so I ended up taking him out and putting him in a hospital tank. He's been in there for a few days but I never see him swimming around. He's either hiding in a decoration or just laying on the bottom in one of the corners. He also isn't eating. The only tank I had available for a hospital tank is a 1.5 gallon that I had leftover from my betta when I didn't know they needed more room and I feel bad it's so small. But it's heated with a plant, decoration, filter and bubble stone. I've been doing large water changes every day since the tank is so small and am dosing him with melafix until I can get some more advice from you guys. Also the foam I have in the filter is only partially seeded from my main tank so I don't know if the water quality is bothering him too. I feel bad moving him around and isolating him but I just panicked when he wasn't getting better in my main tank. Also the fins on his back look kinda small but he's also little and I've only had peppered and sterbai so I don't know what's normal for an emerald.

Punkin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
If you are really worried you can put him into a quarantine tank with some aquarium salt to help fight off potential infections.
Be cautious with salt as I believe cories are sensitive to it.

His fins do look frayed in the picture. I had 2 cories that had what I suspect was fin rot. I treated them in a Qt tank with triple sulpha. You can also use something with nitrofurazone in it. Keep doing water changes and see if he improves, I would do meds as last resort.

Racing1113

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Ok so for now just keep him in the little tank and keep up the daily water changes and Melafix? At what point would I know if it's working or not? And what do I do about getting him to eat? I've included 2 more pictures of him right now. He's just hanging out in one of the corners as usual :/

4cd84de56514edc2ba87dd426b4b1281.jpg

ced21c07081b99f275a2e19ccd521df3.jpg

Punkin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm not familiar with melofix so unfortunately I can't offer any advice on it. I would keep him quarantined with daily water changes like you have been doing. I'm not much of a medicine expert at all. @CindiL can offer some insight, she usually logs on in the evening so hopefully she can take a look at your questions. I wish I could help more.

Racing1113

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Thank you all for all your help! I'm so sorry for all the questions - the only sick fish I've treated was my betta and I royally screwed that up and didn't give him strong enough medication so now I'm super paranoid.

Also, I was turning the tank to see his other side which has the red spot and it looks like he's sitting in a weird curved position:

beb420daf08d247be0102c499d430311.jpg

1c47fa3fcd41a74e9de9f983010c432f.jpg

Then again maybe I'm just going crazy now and imagining things wrong with him lol

Punkin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Thank you all for all your help! I'm so sorry for all the questions - the only sick fish I've treated was my betta and I royally screwed that up and didn't give him strong enough medication so now I'm super paranoid.

Also, I was turning the tank to see his other side which has the red spot and it looks like he's sitting in a weird curved position:

View attachment 323609

View attachment 323610

Then again maybe I'm just going crazy now and imagining things wrong with him lol
I hope he pulls through for you.

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hi, welcome to the forum

With the red spot and frayed fins I would treat him medication. The red spot if not an injury is most likely a bacterial infection. I'd treat him with nitrofurazone which you can find in API Furan-2, Tetra Fungus Guard or Jungle Fungus Clear (this one you can find at Walmart) or Hikari Bifuran.
Another choice would be Triple Sulfa or SulfaPlex.

Do you see any signs on the other cories?

Racing1113

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Oh yay I actually already have Jungle Fungus Clear so I can start using that tonight! I feel so bad for him he hasn't eaten since Monday or maybe even Sunday. He just sits at the bottom of the tank and it looks like the fin on his back that's toward his tail is even further gone than before.

So far all the other cories seem to be ok, including the one other emerald I got with my sick guy. Although I couldn't find one sterbai yesterday so I'm about to do a water change and try to find him, so fingers crossed I just missed him yesterday.

Should I keep doing the Melafix with the fungus clear or atop the melafix? And what should I do about getting him to eat?

Punkin

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
When my cory had fin rot, he was lethargic, but a few days after starting treatment he perked back up, hopefully your little guy will do the same.

CindiL

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Oh good, glad you have that. I'd stop doing the melafix and if you have the time I'd do a water change before adding in the JFC.

I think once he feels better, he'll start eating again but you could soak a few pellets in garlic juice and drop them down and see if he comes to get them. Garlic juice often will get them to eat.

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom