Red Spot On My Platy Fin. Please Advice How To Tread!

Discussion in 'Freshwater Fish Disease' started by Ekaterina Asparouhova, Apr 10, 2018.

1. E

Ekaterina Asparouhova New Member Member

Hi,

My platy has a tiny red bump/spot on his left fin. The fin itself is a bit damaged around that spot. I think I see a bit white around it, but it's red in the center. He eats normally, there are no other fishes in my 5 gal tank. The water is OK - no ammonia or nitrites. The pH was low today, but I changed about 30% of the water right away.

It doesn't look like fluffy patches. What else it could be?

Thank you so much for your help in advance!

2. TexasDomer

TexasDomer Fishlore Legend Member

What about the nitrates?

What's the pH?

How often do you normally do water changes, and how much do you change?

3. OP
    OP
    E

Thank you for your attention to my question!

Didn't check the nitrates, will do. The pH was very low, about 6,5. But, it's been even lower before and the fish was fine. Will check the pH again. I was changing the water about 1-2 times per month. But, after 2 of my fishes died I change it each week since then (about 20% each time). The fishes died about month and a half ago.

There is something in the water which lowers the pH constantly. I checked everything - the gravel, the plants, the interior stones and plastic plants - nothing seems to cause the problem. I checked the tap water as well, keeping it 48 hours. Seems fine as well. I cleaned the gravel with pump many times, changed the water frequently after my fishes died - nothing helps.

So, now this strange red spot... I searched everywhere online for similar symptoms, but couldn't find anything. Any idea what it could be?

Thank you again! Really appreciate your help.

4. TexasDomer

Platies don't do well in soft, acidic water, and it can make them susceptible to infections like bacterial infections. This could be the issue. I would increase the pH and hardness of the water by adding crushed coral or limestone to the tank or filter (cheap from a landscape store), or use a buffer like one by Seachem to increase GH and KH.

Glad you've moved to a weekly schedule! Much better than monthly for fish.

Do you have driftwood in the tank?

5. OP
    OP
    E

Will the increase of the pH remove the bacteria or I should do something else in addition? I was wondering if adding soda will help as I don't have coral or limestone on hand. I can try to buy some tomorrow, but as far as I know they will increase the pH slowly. It might be too late for my fish.

I don't have driftwood in the tank.

Thank you again for your help!

6. TexasDomer

Nope, increasing the pH won't hurt your bacteria. I would use crushed coral or limestone over baking soda as it's easier to do, and you're not adding sodium to the tank (which builds up over time and can cause issues). If you'd rather use an additive, Seachem Equilibrium is a good option (also not adding sodium).

Buying some tomorrow would be fine, I think.

7. Fashooga

Fashooga Fishlore VIP Member

If you opt for the crush coral route the ratio that I've seen used and used myself is 1 cup to every 40 gallons. That will take the pH to about 7-7.4 and will hold there.

If you don't have a 40 gallon tank just measure it using simple math. 1/2 cup = 20 gallons and so on.

8. OP
    OP
    E

Thank you!!!

But, the question how to treat the infection remains. Will the pH rise cure it?

9. TexasDomer

Daily water changes can help short term, and the increase in pH will help overall.

Did you ever check the nitrates?

I would consider getting him a 10 gal, by the way. The 5 gal is a little small in volume and physical space.

10. OP
    OP
    E

Thank you!

I would if I could, but I'm limited in space. I wouldn't put him in 5 gal if I knew that it's too small for him. The guys in Petco were quite sure that it's more than enough.

11. TexasDomer

I wouldn't take further advice from them :(

I know it may be hard for you, but I'd consider returning/rehoming him. There are better options for a 5 gal.

12. OP
    OP
    E

Will think about it, thanks.

What other options I have?

13. TexasDomer

14. OP
    OP
    E

Okay, thanks!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice