Red spot on lemon pleco top of head between eye

jake37

A couple of my lemon pleco have a largish (between dime and nickel) red spot on the head between the eyes. I presume this is an impurity in the colour genetics but I was hopeful someone could shed more insight on why some of them have this reddish spot and what it might indicate.

Demeter

Pictures? Often times it is the males that have the darker pink spot on their heads.

Not sure if this is true for lemons but it is very common in albinos. Because lemons are also lightly pigmented I would expect it to show in males of that strain too. Here’s my male albino showing the red patch.

jake37

He's hiding right now - will try to get a picture later. It is similar to your picture but darker red - almost as dark as a super-red. However, not all my males have it - i think only 2 of the 4. Neither of the females have it.

Demeter said:
Pictures? Often times it is the males that have the darker pink spot on their heads.

Not sure if this is true for lemons but it is very common in albinos. Because lemons are also lightly pigmented I would expect it to show in males of that strain too. Here’s my male albino showing the red patch.

DoubleDutch

Think it is what Demeter mentions

jake37

Here - this one is not quite as dark as on the other one but he came out for a bit and the other one is still hiding:

Kribensis27

Looks like average lemon coloration to me. Many of the ones I’ve seen have a reddish patch in that area.

Infamousj25

jake37 said:
Here - this one is not quite as dark as on the other one but he came out for a bit and the other one is still hiding:

I think it may just be a genetic discoloration. He really is a stunning yellow though!

Most photos, videos and links are disabled if you are not logged in.

Top Bottom