Red spot on goldfish

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
HI I have a 20gl that has two goldfish (yes I know its a small tank, I do 50% water changes twice a week to keep up with the waste) Anyways...my four year old goldfish has been having red spots on him and I’m wondering what is wrong and how do I cure it? Thanks in advance!
EDIT: I do not believe the issue is small tank size, he has been in this tank for about 3 years
3A16E2B7-ACCD-4C5A-8306-642CFC680930.jpeg

OP
jkkgron2

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Could it be septicemia? They had that a long long time ago and I thought that it was gone but maybe it wasn’t?

OP
jkkgron2

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Guys please help! I am getting really worried...

Ryz

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
I'm not sure, maybe some more pics.

BUMP

OP
jkkgron2

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
Thanks, it actually has faded now that we upped the water changes to 70% twice a week so that we could get rid of it....I’m gonna continue the 70% in order to prevent that from happening again.

BarristanTheBold

Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You could also try some aquarium salt ... I don't recommend the idea (that some people have adopted) of *always* having salt in the aquarium, because in my opinion it then sort of builds up a tolerance and doesn't work when needed, and of course can build up to toxic levels -- but every time I have ever had a spot or minor problem with my goldfish, I change the water and add some aquarium salt and it's always worked wonders for me ... it's sort of like aspirin for humans in my book ... it helps with headaches, reduces fever, helps with body pain, helps with aches & pains, can even help cardiovascularly, etc. Aquarium Salt is like that for goldfish IMHO. Obviously, you don't take an aspirin if you have a real infection or disease etc. but for something unidentified and/or needing quick help, that's my go to. And it's usually available locally, if not just Walmart etc.

OP
jkkgron2

jkkgron2

Well Known
Reaction score
Experience
3 years
BarristanTheBold said:
You could also try some aquarium salt ... I don't recommend the idea (that some people have adopted) of *always* having salt in the aquarium, because in my opinion it then sort of builds up a tolerance and doesn't work when needed, and of course can build up to toxic levels -- but every time I have ever had a spot or minor problem with my goldfish, I change the water and add some aquarium salt and it's always worked wonders for me ... it's sort of like aspirin for humans in my book ... it helps with headaches, reduces fever, helps with body pain, helps with aches & pains, can even help cardiovascularly, etc. Aquarium Salt is like that for goldfish IMHO. Obviously, you don't take an aspirin if you have a real infection or disease etc. but for something unidentified and/or needing quick help, that's my go to. And it's usually available locally, if not just Walmart etc.
Great! Thanks for the advice! If the spot ever comes back then I will definitely use aquarium salt.

New Threads