Red Spot On Goldfish

OneLittleBubble

I moved my 2 goldfish in a 90 gallon pond during the beginning of April and they both have a red dot next to their gills and one also has one on his body close to his tail. They eat fine but are always underneath the sponge filter. I also noticed this last year when I moved them out during summer. Should I salt dip them?

Iverg1

Can I see a picture?

OneLittleBubble

I'd have to get back home and catch them I'll try, but it will be hard and you may not be able to see it well

Iverg1

It will help rule out possibility’s. Don’t worry about the quality just get the best one you can. My little guy moves quite bit.

OneLittleBubble

image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

OneLittleBubble

Will a salt dip help that sore looking thing or is it a parasite or something Iverg1 Gypsy13 please help I want to find out what this is so they don't die possibly

Gypsy13

Do you know your parameters? Tell me what the spots look like. Do they look flat or swollen? Tell me everything.

Gypsy13

Will a salt dip help that sore looking thing or is it a parasite or something Iverg1 Gypsy13 please help I want to find out what this is so they don't die possibly

You can add salt to their water. Follow the directions but at half dose. Remember salt doesn’t evaporate so you’ll have to do water changes to remove some. When you dose again, only dose the new water you’re putting in. One of my sarassas tore his fin and I’m having to dose my pond. I have plants and everything. They all love it.

OneLittleBubble

Ok thanks it looks like a sore and he has a couple in his body one on his fin and one near his gill. My ryukin also has one near the gill.

Gypsy13

Ok thanks it looks like a sore and he has a couple in his body one on his fin and one near his gill. My ryukin also has one near the gill.

Is there anything in the pond they could get hurt on?

Gypsy13

And keep posting. I’m not going to be able to check in much. I will try though. Let me know how they do.

OneLittleBubble

There is a heater and a sponge filter maybe some nature inside lol

OneLittleBubble

Oh yeah they swim with their fins clamped not sure if it's so they can swim against the current when I add water. Also when the ryukin is swimming away from me he swims with them clamped. Is this a disease symptom or just to make him swim faster?

Iverg1

What are your parameters?

OneLittleBubble

I just did a water change yesterday and they were fine. But in the beginning, when I first brought them out I did not do water changes until 2 weeks later. Now I do them every other day. Is that the reason?

Joshuaharestad

My favorite goldfish has a sudden red bump that appeared. It honestly has the appearance of a pimple. I checked water conditions. Ammonia 0. Nitrate 20 ppm. Ph 7. Any ideas what it is? I think maybe its just a scrape. Pictures below. Sorry they aren't better he or she never holds still. Still has plenty of appetite.

Attachments

• 20191008_180355.jpg
    20191008_180355.jpg
    50.2 KB · Views: 36
  • 20191008_180229.jpg
    20191008_180229.jpg
    49.8 KB · Views: 38
  • 20191008_180318.jpg
    20191008_180318.jpg
    54.2 KB · Views: 34
  • 20191008_180224.jpg
    20191008_180224.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 35

Sheena-Phx

Beautiful Oranda! I've been wanting that color for forever. Absolutely gorgeous. I'm so sorry about the red spot, but unfortunately I don't have much experience sicknesses. It's a good sign that he has a good appetite. I would do extra water changes just to help him heal up faster. Hopefully someone can pinpoint what that is so you can get him on the mend. I just wanted to stop by and tell you you have the most beautiful fish in the world. : )

Joshuaharestad

Beautiful Oranda! I've been wanting that color for forever. Absolutely gorgeous. I'm so sorry about the red spot, but unfortunately I don't have much experience sicknesses. It's a good sign that he has a good appetite. I would do extra water changes just to help him heal up faster. Hopefully someone can pinpoint what that is so you can get him on the mend. I just wanted to stop by and tell you you have the most beautiful fish in the world. : )

Thank you for the comment. I am quite proud of him or her myself. The spot looks a little smaller today. It's not raised any more so here's hoping. I treated with antI fungal medication.

Sheena-Phx

Well I hope things continue to get better. I can understand your concern with such a gorgeous fish. Good luck, and I hope that works!

jkkgron2

HI I have a 20gl that has two goldfish (yes I know its a small tank, I do 50% water changes twice a week to keep up with the waste) Anyways...my four year old goldfish has been having red spots on him and I’m wondering what is wrong and how do I cure it? Thanks in advance!
EDIT: I do not believe the issue is small tank size, he has been in this tank for about 3 years

3A16E2B7-ACCD-4C5A-8306-642CFC680930.jpeg

jkkgron2

Could it be septicemia? They had that a long long time ago and I thought that it was gone but maybe it wasn’t?

jkkgron2

Guys please help! I am getting really worried...

Ryz

I'm not sure, maybe some more pics.

BUMP

jkkgron2

Thanks, it actually has faded now that we upped the water changes to 70% twice a week so that we could get rid of it....I’m gonna continue the 70% in order to prevent that from happening again.

BarristanTheBold

You could also try some aquarium salt ... I don't recommend the idea (that some people have adopted) of *always* having salt in the aquarium, because in my opinion it then sort of builds up a tolerance and doesn't work when needed, and of course can build up to toxic levels -- but every time I have ever had a spot or minor problem with my goldfish, I change the water and add some aquarium salt and it's always worked wonders for me ... it's sort of like aspirin for humans in my book ... it helps with headaches, reduces fever, helps with body pain, helps with aches & pains, can even help cardiovascularly, etc. Aquarium Salt is like that for goldfish IMHO. Obviously, you don't take an aspirin if you have a real infection or disease etc. but for something unidentified and/or needing quick help, that's my go to. And it's usually available locally, if not just Walmart etc.

jkkgron2

You could also try some aquarium salt ... I don't recommend the idea (that some people have adopted) of *always* having salt in the aquarium, because in my opinion it then sort of builds up a tolerance and doesn't work when needed, and of course can build up to toxic levels -- but every time I have ever had a spot or minor problem with my goldfish, I change the water and add some aquarium salt and it's always worked wonders for me ... it's sort of like aspirin for humans in my book ... it helps with headaches, reduces fever, helps with body pain, helps with aches & pains, can even help cardiovascularly, etc. Aquarium Salt is like that for goldfish IMHO. Obviously, you don't take an aspirin if you have a real infection or disease etc. but for something unidentified and/or needing quick help, that's my go to. And it's usually available locally, if not just Walmart etc.
Great! Thanks for the advice! If the spot ever comes back then I will definitely use aquarium salt.

enrie98

Hi All,

Yesterday I noticed a few red spots on the bottom of my Goldfish. Today there were even more.
The aquarium is about 25 L and only contains this 1 goldfish. and has a filter which is on 24/7. (I know a bit small for a goldfish)
I change the water on a weekly basis.

After I noticed the red spots ,I changed the water.
This morning I noticed more red spots on the Goldfish. (see the pictures)
The fish did eat last night and occasionally swims around.
But mostly lay's on the bottom of the thank.

Does any one know what this is and what I should do?

IMG_0734.HEIC.jpeg
IMG_0733.HEIC.jpeg

kind regards
IMG_0735.HEIC.jpeg

A201

The goldfish looks to be exhibiting "Septicemia", internal bleeding. Its a symptom of several potential stressors; unhealthy water parameters, intestinal bacterial infection or a virus.
Goldfish are pretty big waste producers, and keeping stable water parameters in a 6.5 gallon goldfish tank would be a challange even to a very experienced fishkeeper. IMO, that's the most likely explanation.

enrie98

The goldfish looks to be exhibiting "Septicemia", internal bleeding. Its a symptom of several potential stressors; unhealthy water parameters, intestinal bacterial infection or a virus.
Goldfish are pretty big waste producers, and keeping stable water parameters in a 6.5 gallon goldfish tank would be a challange even to a very experienced fishkeeper. IMO, that's the most likely explanation.

Thank you for the response.

I went to the local fish store and also showed the pictures.
They gave me "sera mycopur". sera mycopur | sera

I did another water change before adding the product and also removed the plastic decoration giving the fish some more swimming space.

He seems to be more active since the water change.
I'm thinking about upgrading to a "Primo 60 LED" (JUWEL Aquarium | Primo 60 LED | purchase online ) if the fish makes it .

Would 60 liters be enough for a single goldfish?

A201

A bigger tank is always better, but I'm sure many of the goldfish enthusiasts on this forum would disapprove of a 16 gal. tank.
I'm not familiar with the noted fish med. A quick google revealed it treats Flukes & Fungus. Probably not the problem with your fish.
Just keep up on the water changes & enjoy your bigger tank.

Anastasia007

Hello,
My poor goldfish has developed some red patches on it's body, mainly on the bottom of it and a little around the fins.
He is in a large tank with a filter. I change water every 2-4 weeks depending on how quickly it gets dirty.
The only difference I had made is purchased two snails for the tank.
The fish is resting at the bottom of the aquarium a lot, which before he'd only do when sleeping at night.
What could have caused the red spots and how do i treat it?
He's a rescue fish and I'd really like him to get better :(
Thank you!

IMG_3089[1].JPG
IMG_3088[1].JPG
IMG_3087[1].JPG

Cue

I don’t know much about goldfish, but I do know that if there’s food floating around in the water you absolutely need to change the water more often. Most goldfish do best with at least 50% water changes weekly. Goldfish create a ton of waste, and it’s better to over-filter.
May I ask you to please fill out the emergency template. It will give us more information on how to help you and your little friend.
Aquatic Emergency Template | Freshwater Fish Disease and Fish Health Forum | 376562

A201

Looks like hemorrhaging just under the skin. Worse case scenario, Septicemia, an unidentified blood infection, or contusions due to blunt trauma.
As noted above, a substantial weekly WC would be a good idea & might remedy the situation.

Dunk2

Hello,
My poor goldfish has developed some red patches on it's body, mainly on the bottom of it and a little around the fins.
He is in a large tank with a filter. I change water every 2-4 weeks depending on how quickly it gets dirty.
The only difference I had made is purchased two snails for the tank.
The fish is resting at the bottom of the aquarium a lot, which before he'd only do when sleeping at night.
What could have caused the red spots and how do i treat it?
He's a rescue fish and I'd really like him to get better :(
Thank you!

Welcome to Fishlore.

Am I correct that your tank is about 28 liters or 7 gallons?

How long has the tank been running and do you know the water parameters (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate)?

Anastasia007

Welcome to Fishlore.

Am I correct that your tank is about 28 liters or 7 gallons?

How long has the tank been running and do you know the water parameters (ammonia, nitrite and nitrate)?
Hello,

Thank you for your reply.
Yes, the tank is 28 liters. The fish had been in it for a few years ( i rescued the fish already in this tank) and it is always happy...bouncing around, playing with gravel. But since yesterday it's mainly at the bottom of the tank. Not sure about the parameters of the water to be honest, but i have not done anything differently. I changed the water today like i always do and I always use tapsafe water additive.

Dunk2

Hello,

Thank you for your reply.
Yes, the tank is 28 liters. The fish had been in it for a few years ( i rescued the fish already in this tank) and it is always happy...bouncing around, playing with gravel. But since yesterday it's mainly at the bottom of the tank. Not sure about the parameters of the water to be honest, but i have not done anything differently. I changed the water today like i always do and I always use tapsafe water additive.

As others suggested, I’d definitely increase the frequency of water changes. Until you can get a test kit, I’d change around 50% every day or 2.

I’d also suggest you get the API Master Test kit or something similar depending on where you’re located.

Anastasia007

I don’t know much about goldfish, but I do know that if there’s food floating around in the water you absolutely need to change the water more often. Most goldfish do best with at least 50% water changes weekly. Goldfish create a ton of waste, and it’s better to over-filter.
May I ask you to please fill out the emergency template. It will give us more information on how to help you and your little friend.
Aquatic Emergency Template | Freshwater Fish Disease and Fish Health Forum | 376562
Thank you for your response.
The food was floating about as i just put it in so i could take photos of his belly. I only feed him a little and he always finishes everything. I'll change the water more often as you said and hopefully that will help.
As others suggested, I’d definitely increase the frequency of water changes. Until you can get a test kit, I’d change around 50% every day or 2.

I’d also suggest you get the API Master Test kit or something similar depending on where you’re located.
Thank you for the suggestion. I'll change the water more often while he is poorly.. I'be been changing it every 2-4 weeks since i got him and he was always fine.. Poor thing. I'll see what test I can order to keep an eye on the water.
Looks like hemorrhaging just under the skin. Worse case scenario, Septicemia, an unidentified blood infection, or contusions due to blunt trauma.
As noted above, a substantial weekly WC would be a good idea & might remedy the situation.
Oh no! Poor thing! I'll keep on top of the water changing and hopefully he will be better. He is still eating which i guess is a good sign. Thank you for your reply!

jtjgg

28L is small for a goldfish, especially for a single tail goldfish.

you need to test the water parameters.

i have 4 single tail goldfish in about 95 gallons (400L) of water, and i do 75% weekly water changes to keep the nitrate below 20ppm.

Anastasia007

28L is small for a goldfish, especially for a single tail goldfish.

you need to test the water parameters.

i have 4 single tail goldfish in about 95 gallons (400L) of water, and i do 75% weekly water changes to keep the nitrate below 20ppm.
Thank you for the response. I have ordered the test strips and should arrive tomorrow so i can test the water. I'll also change the water more frequently so hopefully he will be on the mend soon!

Similar Aquarium Threads

• Question
Replies
Views
Bharat Soni
  • Question
Replies
Views
FishKeeper332
Replies
Views
D1234