Red Spot On Edge Of Fin

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by SobeDiver, Apr 13, 2018.

1. SobeDiver

SobeDiverNew MemberMember

Hi there

I keep a clean tank with a strong filter, test the water weekly. My betta still eats as much as always but I have noticed he's resting more often on leaves or behind things in the tank.

Today for the first time I noticed a bright red spot on the edge of his top fin.

I did some research on different diseases but nothing quite matches this that I can find.

Does anyone have any advice on what it might be or what action I should take?

Thank you!
    Steve

2. CanadianFishFan

CanadianFishFanWell Known MemberMember

hmm, test your water and give us the results, also try to take a photo of the spot.

3. Milliemae124

Milliemae124Valued MemberMember

Could you give us a picture? :)

4. OP
    OP
    SobeDiver

I found some owner posts talking about red spots on fins. I plan to do a 30% water change, replacing with treated water and aquarium salt. then add betafix. Good strategy?

5. CanadianFishFan

We still want a photo to see what this is. We want to see what you are treating for.

6. Milliemae124

I wouldn’t recommend bettafix because it contains tee tree which can coat their lungs

7. CanadianFishFan

Since they are labyrinth breathers this will affect their labyrinth organs making it hard to take air from the surface.

8. OP
    OP
    SobeDiver

Here are some pics I just took - thanks!!

Attached Files:

9. CanadianFishFan

hmm i have no clue what that is! Other then someones a fin nipper...

10. OP
    OP
    SobeDiver

Using long-term submerged monitor:
    Amonia - safe < 0.02 ppm

Using test strip:
    GH 120
    KH 60
    PH 8
    nitrite 0
    nitrate 10

11. OP
    OP
    SobeDiver

Great, thank you. I won't do that then. Is there an alternate choice that's better?

12. Milliemae124

When my betta had fin rot, he had red edges to his fins however I don’t think that’s the case here

13. OP
    OP
    SobeDiver

If i treat the water with prime, how long should i wait before adding Aquarium Salt and then putting the water back in the tank?

14. CanadianFishFan

I did both at the same time, make sure the salt dissolves before adding so you dont burn your betta if he were to have touched the salt.

15. Milliemae124

I would also add the salt in slowly over the course of about 10 minutes so it didn’t shock the fish :)

16. CanadianFishFan

Well a salt dip would be better as long term salt could be more dangerous.

17. OP
    OP
    SobeDiver

When I add prime to new water outside the tank that I plan to add later, I usually wait a day for fear that it will kill all the good bacteria in the tank if I add it too soon - is this a valid concern?

18. CanadianFishFan

lol, i add it and mix it, then pour it in gently 20seconds later. No issue though with letting it age, i heard its better.

19. OP
    OP
    SobeDiver

Hi there

Unfortunately things went badly. I did a 30% water change with water than had been tredted with prime and a little less than the recommended amount of aquarium salt (just being conservative).

After I did the change, my fish immediately got worse and stayed st the bottom breathing weakly. I kept checking on him and he seemed to be declining. This morning I woke up to find he had died overnight.

I feel terrible. He was such an energetic and feisty little guy since i got him last summer.

I still don’t understand was the original problem was or how the water change made it so much worse. I want to make sure I understand what happened before getting another fish so if something similar were to happen again, I’d be better equipped to deal with it.

Thanks for all your input so far!

20. Milliemae124

I know exactly how you feel, when my betta got fin rot no medication cured him and he passed away. I felt so bad because I felt like it was my fault. Things like this happen and sometimes there isn’t much you can do :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice