Red Spot Help

Mollieworld

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
On my Julii cory you see in the pic that red spot on the tip of its tail, it has another red spot hard to see on one of his side fins. What is it, do I have to put it in a hospital tank (I dont have one) do I need to treat it? Just noticed this today. I did have one mysteriously die with no red spots yesterday it looked fine. I've had them for a few weeks now I have rounded small pebble river rock gravel and this sand in the middle which they primarily hang out on unless they want to sleep and relax they hide under my plants in the gravel. Everyone else is just fine, this one and others are eating and acting like their normal playful selves.
20190903_125905.jpg

jaydivingboard

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
On my Julii cory you see in the pic that red spot on the tip of its tail, it has another red spot hard to see on one of his side fins. What is it, do I have to put it in a hospital tank (I dont have one) do I need to treat it? Just noticed this today. I did have one mysteriously die with no red spots yesterday it looked fine. I've had them for a few weeks now I have rounded small pebble river rock gravel and this sand in the middle which they primarily hang out on unless they want to sleep and relax they hide under my plants in the gravel. Everyone else is just fine, this one and others are eating and acting like their normal playful selves.View attachment 585234
What are the other fish in the tank? It looks like nipping

Could also be irritation due to high ammonia levels, have you done any tests on your water parameters to see if you had any issues?

Mollieworld

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
Could also be irritation due to high ammonia levels, have you done any tests on your water parameters to see if you had any issues?
Not ammonia, my ammonia reading is 0 and I did a 25% water change yesterday, as just a normal maintenance schedule. I have mollies and 1 male betta, everyone leaves everyone alone, no aggression in betta at all, no one is hiding or stressed, he hangs out on top cories on bottom and they swim up and down like puppies, when they get crazy the betta just goes to his corner lol. Mollies just do there own thing, looking for things to pick at like normal. No flaring of the betta or anything, granted he is new to the tank as of Sat and have been keeping a close eye on him. I am home all day everyday and always checking in with them. I havent caught him being aggressive with anyone yet (I have been anticipating it so I do have a 10 gal cycled for him if need be but with my molly fry in there I'd love for him to work out in the community and so far he has been that I've seen)

Elkwatcher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
This member is also having trouble with red spot on juli cory's. I posted a link for septicemia ...maybe it will help? All My Corydoras Are Dying.

edit: the link isn't working, I will try and find the info again for you.

Last edited:

jaydivingboard

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Not ammonia, my ammonia reading is 0 and I did a 25% water change yesterday, as just a normal maintenance schedule. I have mollies and 1 male betta, everyone leaves everyone alone, no aggression in betta at all, no one is hiding or stressed, he hangs out on top cories on bottom and they swim up and down like puppies, when they get crazy the betta just goes to his corner lol. Mollies just do there own thing, looking for things to pick at like normal. No flaring of the betta or anything, granted he is new to the tank as of Sat and have been keeping a close eye on him. I am home all day everyday and always checking in with them. I havent caught him being aggressive with anyone yet (I have been anticipating it so I do have a 10 gal cycled for him if need be but with my molly fry in there I'd love for him to work out in the community and so far he has been that I've seen)
Hmm I'm not sure what it would be then I hope someone else can be of more help, it is a very pretty fish

Mollieworld

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
This member is also having trouble with red spot on juli cory's. I posted a link for septicemia ...maybe it will help? All My Corydoras Are Dying.

edit: the link isn't working, I will try and find the info again for you.
Strange the link in that post isnt working, so basically it could be red blotch disease or whatever its called?

Hmm I'm not sure what it would be then I hope someone else can be of more help, it is a very pretty fish
Thank you! I absolutely adore these puppies they act so much like land puppies, I never knew how fun and entertaining they are.

Elkwatcher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
Strange the link in that post isnt working, so basically it could be red blotch disease or whatever its called?
I can view the link but for some reason it won't share. The info is basically they think Red blotch disease is septicemia caused by an internal bacterium known as Aeromona's, some meds they treat with are Kanaplex, Metroplex, Neoplex which are all Seachem products. It suggests medicating your food with the above. Metro and Kanaplex can be used together. Also states 9 times out of 10 poor water perimeters are the cause.. too much waste, overloaded filters, decomposing organic debris and high nitrates. This might not be your case but thought it might be helpful. I'd quarantine.

Mollieworld

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
I can view the link but for some reason it won't share. The info is basically they think Red blotch disease is septicemia caused by an internal bacterium known as Aeromona's, some meds they treat with are Kanaplex, Metroplex, Neoplex which are all Seachem products. It suggests medicating your food with the above. Metro and Kanaplex can be used together. Also states 9 times out of 10 poor water perimeters are the cause.. too much waste, overloaded filters, decomposing organic debris and high nitrates. This might not be your case but thought it might be helpful. I'd quarantine.
Thank you! I dont have a quarantine tank or anything. So now I have no idea what to do.

Elkwatcher

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
More than 10 years
You could use a 10 gallon tote if you had a spare sponge filter and heater. I always run extra sponges in my tank for this reason so I have established bacteria ready to use for quarantines. You can also treat the water in your tank with everyone else in it. I quarantine because mine is always up and running. Hope it is something that will resolve quickly.. it's a sweet juli!

Mollieworld

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
4 years
You could use a 10 gallon tote if you had a spare sponge filter and heater. I always run extra sponges in my tank for this reason so I have established bacteria ready to use for quarantines. You can also treat the water in your tank with everyone else in it. I quarantine because mine is always up and running. Hope it is something that will resolve quickly.. it's a sweet juli!
I'm wondering, if its red blotch then I'm worried others may develop it as well, so maybe I should treat the tank itself?

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom