Red Spike Out Of Pregnant Guppy?

Faith Bennett

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
Hi everyone, so upon inspection of my pregnant guppy i can see a small red, splinter-like spike coming out of her anal canal. I read somewhere that this can mean she’s going into labor.. but other places I have read it’s an internal parasite? please let me know what you think. (ps. spike is always visible, even when she’s moving)

fjh

Well Known Member
Reaction score
Experience
5 to 10 years
Hard to tell by the photo, but "red spike" coming out near there sounds like camamalous worms.

Faith Bennett

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
fjh said:
Hard to tell by the photo, but "red spike" coming out near there sounds like camamalous worms.
thank you. i was confused because someone said it was a sign that they’re in heat, or about to give birth. She is still acting normal and eating fine, and i cannot see the spike on any of my other fish. Are there any home treatments for this parasite? I can’t run out and get medicine right now.

Faith Bennett

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
TexasDomer said:
There are a few threads on this forum (in the disease subforum) on how to treat camallanus. If you can access levamisole, it's a good treatment option.
does this work?
I looked up levamisole but it’s very expensive..

cody2posh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
I saw this and immediately had to tell you I HAD THIS SAME PROBLEM AND I CURED IT.

First off, those are indeed camallanus worms, which are NOTORIOUSLY difficult to get rid of, and if you have inverts in the tank you WILL have to have a separate quarantine tank ready.

Ok so levamisol will NOT work. All this does is paralyze the worms which are then defecated out, but the fish will often eat the worms again, starting back the whole cycle. I used this countless times, would WATCH the worms come out of my fish, then in several weeks they were back.

I DID have luck with Fenbendazole, namely in the form of Peabody's medicated flakes (found it on Amazon) the flakes are homemade and also have garlic which helps the fish eat the medicine. Unlike levamisol, Fenbendazole must be consumed orally to work. I followed the directions on the packaging and had great results.

Just be careful, all of these meds WILL KILL SHRIMP SNAILS ETC

Faith Bennett

Reaction score
Experience
5 years
cody2posh said:
I saw this and immediately had to tell you I HAD THIS SAME PROBLEM AND I CURED IT.

First off, those are indeed camallanus worms, which are NOTORIOUSLY difficult to get rid of, and if you have inverts in the tank you WILL have to have a separate quarantine tank ready.

Ok so levamisol will NOT work. All this does is paralyze the worms which are then defecated out, but the fish will often eat the worms again, starting back the whole cycle. I used this countless times, would WATCH the worms come out of my fish, then in several weeks they were back.

I DID have luck with Fenbendazole, namely in the form of Peabody's medicated flakes (found it on Amazon) the flakes are homemade and also have garlic which helps the fish eat the medicine. Unlike levamisol, Fenbendazole must be consumed orally to work. I followed the directions on the packaging and had great results.

Just be careful, all of these meds WILL KILL SHRIMP SNAILS ETC
thank you for all of the info!! i ordered fenbendazole already, should be arriving soon seems that this parasite is more common in pregnant females than a normal guppy, yeah? there’s not too much info out there. im planning on moving the guppies into quarantine after their first treatment, then dump out the infected tank and let it air dry for a few weeks until the guppies are all cured. i appreciate the help!

TexasDomer

Fishlore Legend
Reaction score
Experience
2 years
Levamisole WILL work - you just need to do gravel vacs to remove the paralyzed worms. Eating the adult worms won't infect the fish again, if my knowledge of parasitology is correct.

Fenbendazole can work as well, if Levamisole isn't available. I'm not sure if it's more common in pregnant guppies or just female guppies (as they're often pregnant, hard to separate the two), but they do seem to infect livebearers more often than other fish, it seems.

cody2posh

Valued Member
Reaction score
Experience
Just started
Theory is totally sound, my fellow Texan! The worms themselves won't be infective, it's usually the eggs released as they're paralyzed or sometimes even decaying. The eggs are virtually impossible to get rid of with the heavily planted setup I had going.

Truthfully levamisole WILL work, but it's going to involve a lot of cleanup work and depending on the size/style of your setup it may or may not be worth it, just depends how much time and elbow grease you can spare

Toggle Sidebar

Aquarium Calculator

Follow FishLore!

Top Bottom