Red Specs On Ends Of Find Lethargic Fish

Discussion in 'Betta Fish' started by K8lin, Mar 9, 2019.

1. K8lin

K8linNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +8
    Experience:
    Just started
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Tank

What is the water volume of the tank? fluval spec v
    How long has the tank been running? 2 1/2 weeks
    Does it have a filter? yes
    Does it have a heater? yes a 50watt
    What is the water temperature? 78
    What is the entire stocking of this tank? (Please list all fish and inverts.) 1 betta

Maintenance
    How often do you change the water? every 2-3 days
    How much of the water do you change? 1-2 gallons
    What do you use to treat your water? aqueon water conditioner then switched to seachem prime
    Do you vacuum the substrate or just the water? suck up anything yucky looking.

*Parameters - Very Important
    Did you cycle your tank before adding fish? no
    What do you use to test the water? API freshwater test kit
    What are your parameters? We need to know the exact numbers, not just “fine” or “safe”.

Ammonia: .25 before water change last night
    Nitrite:0
    Nitrate: was 20 before water change last night
    pH:

Feeding
    How often do you feed your fish? once a day
    How much do you feed your fish? 1-6 smallsmall pe
    What brand of food do you feed your fish?
    Do you feed frozen or freeze-dried foods? sometimes freeze-dried bloodworms

Illness & Symptoms
    How long have you had this fish? 2 weeks
    How long ago did you first notice these symptoms? 2 days ago
    In a few words, can you explain the symptoms? betta is lethargic staying in a couple spots in the tank has red specs on the tips of his fins
    Have you started any treatment for the illness? just water changes and turned the tank light off and filter off for a bit.
    Was your fish physically ill or injured upon purchase? had a bit of popeye when I got him
    How has its behavior and appearance changed, if at all? the red specs appeared and he's been less active this week. not making his daily bubble nest anymore

Explain your emergency situation in detail. (Please give a clear explanation of what is going on, include details from the beginning of the illness leading up to now)

I have kept the ammonia down in the tank since it's cycling. every two days just about doing a water change. I switched the water conditioner back to what I was using before because I bought seachem prime off of Amazon so I thought maybe it was bad.
    he likes to lean up against the filter intake so he's just been doing that all day so I turned it off thinking maybe it was damaging his fins. not sure what to do I just changed half the water again last night. but noticed today the red bits on his fin tips.

2. OP
    OP
    K8lin

K8linNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +8
    Experience:
    Just started
    here's pictures so you can see what I mean,
    the last photo is him on Feb 26th

Attached Files:

3. Accents

AccentsWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +186
    Experience:
    1 year
    It looks like the beginning of finrot, and it's possible that he is lethargic from ammonia poisoning. Instead of every other day, I would do a 25% water change every day and add enough Prime to detoxify the whole tank. It will bind the ammonia and nitrite to make it nontoxic for 24 hours. Try to vacuum the gravel, because there might be detritus that isn't clearly visible but is contributing to ammonia/nitrate.

Do you have any bottles of Tetra Safe Start or anything to kickstart the cycle with?

4. OP
    OP
    K8lin

K8linNew MemberMember

Ratings:
    +8
    Experience:
    Just started
    no I don't have anything like that but some nitrates have already shown up so I assume there should be some good stuff building up in there. I'll try to clean the gravel more, and switch to daily changes.

5. Accents

AccentsWell Known MemberMember

Ratings:
    +186
    Experience:
    1 year
    I would try to get some, it's a live but bottled bacteria that should speed up the cycle.

The cycle is probably stateds, but the bacteria colony is probably petpre small so if there is debating matter in the substrate and a fish it may be overwhelming the colony.